Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixand
Well....as I stated earlier in an edited post, I'm going to try the QT method.
Personally, I think that is probably the best idea. It will end up saving you money in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn
Since the parasites can not live in hypO then it should kill them right? Well we placed them into the system and the clowns developed ich .... So where it came from is any ones guess because nothing was added ... So I do believe it is in every system , but because it is opportunistic and the clowns were healthy due to the stuffing their faces they fought it off . And survived .... they have not had it since....
I see what you are saying, and definitely thanks for sharing your experience. I don't want to direct this post into an ich discussion, as that would be unfair to the original poster.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM   #32
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s not a smile it`s a picture of shock. I`m just messed up that an LFS would give advice like that. I dont have 20 yrs either but I do have half of that and enough to know that what she advised you is not going to work. Alot of people keep their tank there at 1.019 so what will that accomplish. It`s your tank and ultimately your choice. But IME and IMO it will not work. Hope all goes well no matter what you choose

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

A quick drop like that will do exactly as she says, crash your tank. It will likely kill your inverts since they can't handle a quick adjustment like that. Adjusting the salinity will also affect your ph, again possibility killing everything in the tank. A "quick crash" will no doubt crash your biological filtration as well. The bacteria can tolerate a change in salinity and adjust to it but it has to be gradual. I'm glad to read that you will be getting a QT tank. If you are doing hypo, be sure to get a refractometer to measure your sg. If doing copper, I'd suggest cupramine. Also, be sure to test often and do water changes as necessary in your QT tank. The fish will be going through enough stress with the move and chemistry changes with treatment to have to tolerate doing all this in ammonia or nitrite soup. Good luck.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113016
Old 11-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok. So I got my 10 gallon QT up last night. Sponge filter, air pump, heater to 80 degrees.

Did a PWC on my main tank draining 5 gallons into the QT tank. Topped that off with 4 gallons of fresh mix, and a gallon of RO to bring the SG to roughly 1.020-21.
Added the two clowns, fed them garlic oil soaked flake. (Which they LOVED)

I left the damsel in the main. For a couple reasons. One, I couldn't catch him. And two, he had been in the tank since day one, and I feel he has a superior defense system as compared to the new clowns. If I notice anything on the damsel...then I'll move him.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I left the damsel in the main. For a couple reasons. One, I couldn't catch him. And two, he had been in the tank since day one, and I feel he has a superior defense system as compared to the new clowns. If I notice anything on the damsel...then I'll move him.
Your gonna need to catch that damsel. Even if the damsel has a super immunity, he will be a carrier. When returning the clowns, chances are they will just be reinfected.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with Fluff, since you already have the QT set up, why not just add the damsel, to prevent future outbreaks?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well. Cause honestly, after reading the other threads.....does it matter?

Ich is always in the tank. The purpose of a QT tank is to kill the Ich off the clowns enough so they can get healthy, build a slight immunity to it, and be ready to fight Ich in the main tank.

By the logic of people on this board, fish spend their entire lives fighting Ich. The goal is to keep them as healthy as possible so they can resist the takeover.

Which is precisely what I'm doing. The damsel is VERY healthy. And I am supping his food also with garlic oil. If he hasn't succumed to it yet, he isn't going to.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
By the logic of people on this board, fish spend their entire lives fighting Ich. The goal is to keep them as healthy as possible so they can resist the takeover.
That is not my logic and I totally disagree with it. If your tank is fallow for 8wks, the parasite without a host will die off. During that 8wks, you'll be treating your fish and ridding them of the parasite, therefore your tank will be "clean". Do what you will but in a week or two after you reintroduce the clowns to the tank, I have a feeling you'll be starting a vicious cycle that can be avoided.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I wouldn't say that about all people on this board. I am by no means an expert. I found that info in only one book. I need to do some more research and get more info from more than one source.
I would definitely QT the damsel as well, Fluff had some great advice.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ughhhh. I have NO idea how I'm gonna get it out of the tank. I tried at first for like 20 mins. I even tried feeding to get it above the LR. Little bastard wouldn't budge.

Tags
clown, clown fish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com