Clown fish "pimple" help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright I'm going to try to answer the questions to the best of my ability. I don't have all the equipment to test my water, because my LFS normally will for me and I am still new to this hobby.

1. How long have you had the fish? I have had the fish for a month now. It is a Percula Clown. Tank raised (ORA).

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression? I have had the fish in the tank for a month. The tank mates include another percula clown and a black percula clown, as well as a cleaner shrimp and 4 turbo snails. They are all very docile.

3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat? Yes. I am currently feeding Omega One Marine Pellets as well as frozen fish food. I forget what its called and my friend isn't in my dorm room for me to look. If it is important I will be able to look later.

4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using? This I do not know, I don't have a kit. I normally have my LFS check every one to two weeks.

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
The only thing I have noticed is a white pimple looking spot in front of his left fin. It has not change in size or coloration. When I told my LFS they didn't seem very worried. It's been there for about two weeks and my other fish haven't shown any signs of having problems. They interact fine and have been acting normal. Im not as concerned as I was because it has been the same for almost two weeks, its possible I could have over looked the small spot when I bought her.

6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?
No.

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
She is acting normal. One thing I did notice yesterday that I have never seen from her that alarmed me was she began swimming side ways (only way I can describe it) in place very quickly for about 5 second incriminates. She did it no more than 5 times all in the same spot and only when my male clown was by her. I guess you could call it a violent shaking. I thought she was seizing. What could this be? She hasn't done it again since and has be acting normal and swimming around the tank.

8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)? No quarantine. No current meds.

9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated. I floated her (along with my male perc) and then every half hour I added 1/4 of the amount of water in the bucket and then dumped out half for nearly 2 hours.

10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand? 29 gallon. I have live rock and sand. I used a marineland Penguin Power Filter 350B. Which is actually a size larger than I need for my tank.

11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank? No. No.

A picture (use the macro mode on your camera if you can) would be helpful.

Without it, and if there have been no changes in size or more showing up we can't help.

Any signs of agression between the clowns?

In the picture of all three she is the largest one. Sometimes she will nip at my black clown if it gets too close but it is short lived and seems more playful. They all sleep together in the same corner at night so it seems more like play.

PART_1303423811902.jpeg PART_1303423934771.jpeg PART_1302717056601.jpg
PART_1303423893587.jpg

Thank you I love them! I just rearranged my LR and they seem too love it, which is funny because I just moved them because I am moving my tank back home from school next weekend.

Anyways what I am referring to is a small little white looking bubble. In the first picture you can see it on her left side. It is by the front fin where the black stripe meets the orange of the body. You can see it best in the first picture. Im not sure if it is a problem or just a part of her body, I just want to be sure.

Thanks for your help!

Both of my orange clowns have a white dot on one side each, I've been assuming it's part of their coloring. It's been a few weeks and none of my other fish have them so I assumed it wasnt ick

Ok! Good stuff. I would rather just be safe than sorry. Thank you!

Do you have any clue why my largest is picking on my black clown (second largest in my tank). They were introduced at the same time and it doesn't seem malicious at all. It almost seems like she likes to remind him who is boss sometimes. She is always the aggressor and he seems to retreat from it. They all sleep together at night so I am assuming it isn't very serious. Any clue?

I am sorry they weren't introduced at the same time about 2 weeks apart. It only seems to be recently she has been doing this.

Mine kinda get nippy too and they all sleep together in a bunch, I think it's just part of their goofy nature. :)

I don't mean to go off topic, but I thought you couldnt keep different clown species together. I would love to pick up a pair of black &white for my tank

After alot of research I found that if you stick to oscellaris they are ok. They are the least aggressive clown. I have 2 pairs and haven't had any issues yet. :)

OOO, maybe my next fishes would be a pair of b&w ocellaris :)

That would be amazing. I would be beyond excited for that!

And overall I spent about $100 on just my fish. I think I am going to post a link to a video here within the next half hour most likely. They have a large personality! Except my black he is reserved compared two the other two.

Ok so I am bring this back because it seems my smallest clown has the same "pimple" looking marks. The smallest has two and the largest has one. They almost look like grains of salt. They are acting normal other than that and seem healthy. They also are eating well. Please help I am worried! Thanks.

If they've been OK so far, I'm sure its not a big deal. Did you buy the two with pimples together? If so, they could of came from the same parents which could make the pimples genetic

Back
Top Bottom