Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

clown fish vanished!

This is very sad! Just yesterday we were commenting on how happy and active and hungry our two clownfish were! We'd had one for three weeks, the second for two weeks. They were inseparable!
This morning, there was only one. No sign of the other. They were the only fish in the tank. I know there are a couple of hitchhiker crabs in there. They've worried me. Could they take out a happy healthy clownfish? (about an inch and a quarter long). There are also two serpent stars and lots of hermit crabs and snails, and a CBS. He wouldn't be the culprit, would he? He's never been aggressive. I've had him for two months, he went in with the clean-up crew. Tank was first set up in April.
I know you'll ask, so here are my test results:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 10-20, looks like around 15 by the color
pH 8.3
SG 1.024
Help, I'm so distressed!

Old 07-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe your CBS and/or any hitchhiker may have taken him out.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

When we first got our clowns, one kept disappearing and we would find it in the back overflow part of the tank. This happened several times. Then one time she totally disappeared and we think she was eaten by something.

We had a CBS for 24 hours and it pretty much immediately took out one of our fish, it didn't eat it, but it beat it up and the fish died.

Kimberly
Old 07-19-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Please tell me it's not my CBS! He is so cool, he was my first "real animal". Don't lots of people have CBSs in with their fish? I thought this was pretty common. Now I'm afraid to add any new fishes, and my little clown looks really lonely. Would keeping the CBS well fed be a good idea? I feed him a piece of shrimp or squid a couple of times a week, and I see him eating what I feed the fish as well.
Should I start to try to catch the crabs somehow?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
start with the crabs and eliminate the others one by one.. theres no way of telling who did it so it'd be really hard.. use the bottle trick with some food in it..

is the cbs much larger than the clowns?
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The clowns are about 1 1/4 inches long. The CBS has a "claws-spread" of about 3 inches. I have never seen him threaten either of the fish. "Seen" may be the operative word?

If I try to catch the crabs in the bottle trap, won't the fish go in there too? Do I have to watch it the whole time it's in the tank? What if the crab ends up in there and my remaining clownfish joins him?!?!?!

Also, may I ask again: Don't lots of you have a CBS in with your fish? Doesn't this generally work out well? Please tell!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't be so hasty. There's always the possibility of fish croaking due to a variety of unforseen parasites. Many people keep everything you've had in your tank with no issues. There's no reason a CBS should attack and kill a clownfish that's about the same size he probably is. Just keep an eye on your current inhabitants to make sure they're all healthy and active (or not active, depending on their personality of course).
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you so much, Schoeplein!! Maybe I will be a little bit encouraged. All my tank parameters are as I just posted them. Would you add another fish? I surely would like to replace the clown, and in the next few weeks I would like to add a few green chromis. Dare I?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since I am the one who posted about the CBS killing a fish in my tank, I feel that I should tell you that I seem to have just had a mean bugger. Lots of people keep CBS with no problems. We saw our CBS attack the fish, and tried to separate them, but with the live rock and the CBS's chosen locale it was very difficult to get him out so we waited...too long. Even without the CBS we have had a few mysterious fish death, no traces to be found thanks to our efficient cleaning crew.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
On the other end of the scale.. being CBS being prey.. I've also had the quite opposite of what should really happen... I have a CBS with a zebra moray... lunch u think? NO!! my cbs hitches rides on the zebra all the time..! all i need now is to take a photo of it!

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com