clown fish vanished!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianeww

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is very sad! Just yesterday we were commenting on how happy and active and hungry our two clownfish were! We'd had one for three weeks, the second for two weeks. They were inseparable!
This morning, there was only one. No sign of the other. They were the only fish in the tank. I know there are a couple of hitchhiker crabs in there. They've worried me. Could they take out a happy healthy clownfish? (about an inch and a quarter long). There are also two serpent stars and lots of hermit crabs and snails, and a CBS. He wouldn't be the culprit, would he? He's never been aggressive. I've had him for two months, he went in with the clean-up crew. Tank was first set up in April.
I know you'll ask, so here are my test results:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 10-20, looks like around 15 by the color
pH 8.3
SG 1.024
Help, I'm so distressed!

When we first got our clowns, one kept disappearing and we would find it in the back overflow part of the tank. This happened several times. Then one time she totally disappeared and we think she was eaten by something.

We had a CBS for 24 hours and it pretty much immediately took out one of our fish, it didn't eat it, but it beat it up and the fish died.

Kimberly

Please tell me it's not my CBS! He is so cool, he was my first "real animal". Don't lots of people have CBSs in with their fish? I thought this was pretty common. Now I'm afraid to add any new fishes, and my little clown looks really lonely. Would keeping the CBS well fed be a good idea? I feed him a piece of shrimp or squid a couple of times a week, and I see him eating what I feed the fish as well.
Should I start to try to catch the crabs somehow?

start with the crabs and eliminate the others one by one.. theres no way of telling who did it so it'd be really hard.. use the bottle trick with some food in it..

is the cbs much larger than the clowns?

The clowns are about 1 1/4 inches long. The CBS has a "claws-spread" of about 3 inches. I have never seen him threaten either of the fish. "Seen" may be the operative word?

If I try to catch the crabs in the bottle trap, won't the fish go in there too? Do I have to watch it the whole time it's in the tank? What if the crab ends up in there and my remaining clownfish joins him?!?!?!

Also, may I ask again: Don't lots of you have a CBS in with your fish? Doesn't this generally work out well? Please tell!

I wouldn't be so hasty. There's always the possibility of fish croaking due to a variety of unforseen parasites. Many people keep everything you've had in your tank with no issues. There's no reason a CBS should attack and kill a clownfish that's about the same size he probably is. Just keep an eye on your current inhabitants to make sure they're all healthy and active (or not active, depending on their personality of course).

Thank you so much, Schoeplein!! Maybe I will be a little bit encouraged. All my tank parameters are as I just posted them. Would you add another fish? I surely would like to replace the clown, and in the next few weeks I would like to add a few green chromis. Dare I?

Since I am the one who posted about the CBS killing a fish in my tank, I feel that I should tell you that I seem to have just had a mean bugger. Lots of people keep CBS with no problems. We saw our CBS attack the fish, and tried to separate them, but with the live rock and the CBS's chosen locale it was very difficult to get him out so we waited...too long. :( Even without the CBS we have had a few mysterious fish death, no traces to be found thanks to our efficient cleaning crew.

On the other end of the scale.. being CBS being prey.. I've also had the quite opposite of what should really happen... I have a CBS with a zebra moray... lunch u think? NO!! my cbs hitches rides on the zebra all the time..! all i need now is to take a photo of it!

Hahah, that's the coolest thing I've heard today! I've got a picture in my head of a shrimp with a cowboy hat going, "YEEHAW!"... anyways..

Diane, what size tank, and what are all your current inhabitants?

My tank is 75 gallons.. I have 110 pounds of live rock and 2 maxi jet 1200s, and one profile 601 jet.
Inhabitants: One :( true percula clown, one CBS, two serpent stars about 5 inches across each. Lots of hermits and snails. Unfortunately, everything in currently buried in cyano bacteria. Yik! (another problem entirely, lol.)

And thanks, Kimberly, for clarifying the story about the killer CBS. Maybe he was just a vicious sort!

I would love to see a picture of that shrimp and eel! :lol:

I too have a CBS and assorted hitchhiker crabs. I'm just starting and *had* 3 fish. A few weeks ago they disappeared, 1 by 1 a few days apart (1 singapore angel, 1 clown (my avatar pic), 1 chromis). My predator left a clue though - before he disappeared my chromis had a piece of his tail fin missing (like it was cut with a scissors).
I haven't yet, by my CBS and crabs are going to the LFS before I get any more fish.

Back
Top Bottom