clown fish whitespot..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok.. I posted awhile back about a white spot on my clownfish.. its come and gone.. but now its getting worse.

she doesn't have any other visible signs of stress, no color changes besides the raised white spots... and its not really a spot.. its almost like "dead skin" sort of seems to just sit there and float along side.. it almost.. or it is moved by water current..

I was thinking brooklynella, but apparently thats too deadly, or maybe velvet or ich, but once again, those two are rather killer if untreated..

I was thinking about a formalin dip.. I didn't really want to treat her with some crazy stuff if I don't know what it is..

thanks
thane

*edit*
tank params
temp - 78
ph 8.2
ammonia/nitrites/nitrates - 0/0/5-10
ive had this clown for about 5 months now, she is a true TR perc

If you've had the clown for 5 months it's unlikely to be a parasite problem unless there been some recent additions. More likely it is either Lympho or a bacterial issue. Where on the body is it located?

Read these two articles and see what rings true the most. The first step in the remedies for each is the same, Lympho cannot be cured with meds though.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=43

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=45

Cheers
Steve

hrm.. it does look to be lymph.. atleast from the pictures ive observed..

she has a spot right below her dorsal fin..

and a few on her breast fin..

its only on one side of her body too..

What about the possibility of a bacterial issue, "fungal like" tufts of cotton?

Spots on fish can be many things from benign to pathogenic or parasitic. The way you describe it it sounds more like a bacterial problem.... "its almost like "dead skin" sort of seems to just sit there and float along side". Brooklynella would look like a whisp of cloud surrounding the body followed by red ulcers. If the clown has been in the tank 5 months, it wouldn't be possible without a new addition (which you haven't indicated). Brooklynella will kill quite quickly if untreated.

Is there a possibility of posting a pic? Are the fish's eyes cloudy or clear?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom