Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

clown hanging out at the top of tank

ive had my tank running for 8 months 75gal 3 damsels 1 cleaner shrimp couple of snails 30lbs of live rock. i bought my first clown yesterday he seems to be doing ok except that he stays towrds the top or middle of the tank doesent go anywhere near the rock or when all the lights are off thats where he stays at the top of the tank .. this is the only thing that concerns me is it maybe because its not use to the tank or a little scared to go to the bottom? is there anythign i can do ? or get to make help? thanks
-Ed

Old 12-28-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My clowns host to one of the powerheads at night (so near the top). Are they eating?

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to SeriousDude5
I recently got a tomato clown for my tank and for the first 3 days or so it shyed away from the bottom on the tank and secluded itsself now that it has settled its all over the thank I suggest you wait it out and see what happens most likly it will adapt
Old 12-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mine does the exact same thing. i think it is possible that if it is a tank raised fish it doesnt really understand the rock and corals in the tank. it hangs out by what it knows, which seems to be the plumbing.

give it at least a week or two. as long as he is eating it should be fine.

steve r
Old 12-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many years ago, I had a Maroon clown that had an obvious swim bladder problem when I got him. He could not descend. He actually got a bit sunburned from having his back above the water line all the time.

He eventually recovered (about a week), then lived for many years.

So even in the worst case scenario, the prognosis for your guy is probably good.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the replys. the lil guy is eating goes right for the food .. somethign els i see is if the moon lights are on he will stay up aswell i shut them off and hell go and hind behind the plumbing should i leave the moon lights off or just let him get use to it .. all the other fish are hideing behind rocks " sleeping " when the moon lights are on ..

oh he looks like he struggles a lil when swimming i dono moves alot doenset seem to go anywhere.

thanks!
-Ed
Old 12-29-2004, 12:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

exactly what mine does. hangs out in the moon light swimming on his side but not going anywhere. leave the moon light on. clown behavior comes up so often on this forum. and almost every behavior or other wierd thing a clown does, mine has done! they are just strange little fish

steve r

Tags
clown, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com