Clown has growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got two true clown percs from liveaquaria a few days ago and were super active and healthy looking and I inspected for a long time and found no spots or injuries. Today I come home and just one of them has was looks to me like white fleshy material at the corner of his mouth and at the dorsal fins and little on the side. Looks like if I put a fresh shrimp in the water and the meat turns white... thats what it looks like only stringy and thin. Doesnt look like its coming from HIS body parts.. just looked like it could be he got into something or something growing on him. Could be that he got tangled in some extra frozen brine that I saw my anemone spit out last night? Because it seems to be going away slowly as the hours pass... just don't want to blow it off though and I cant really tell if he is acting any different than the other. :)

TIA

Do a few water changes with well aged/aerated SW and watch to see if it gets worse or continues to go away. Also try to determine if they are engaging in any mating/pairing behavior.

Cheers
Steve

I will do that when I get home.... I have not performed a major water change since my cycle - only small ones every other day or so. Actually... one seems to be getting larger than the other and they both seem lively this morning too. I noticed that they seem to shake back and forth violently when playing (havent noticed which one or both)... kinda like convulsions :) But it seems voluntary - not like a sick shaking back and forth. Do you think that the white stuff is because of mating/paring? I noticed that 90% of it had disappeared last night and I watched him with lights out for a little while and they were skimming the top of the tank and ventouring out apart which they don't do when lights are on. This morning he looked to have it in new places but not as much as when I first noticed it. I just don't want to get near that 14 day guarantee period and they not send me another after it croaks. Think I should call liveaquaria just to let them know? Thanks steve.

Keep in mind that it is 14 days from when it leaves their facility, not from when you received it. I know that's only a day difference, but it may make all the difference in the world.

I'd call them and let them know about it just so that they can put it on record.

liquidreamer said:
one seems to be getting larger than the other and they both seem lively this morning too. I noticed that they seem to shake back and forth violently when playing (havent noticed which one or both)... kinda like convulsions :) But it seems voluntary - not like a sick shaking back and forth. Do you think that the white stuff is because of mating/paring?
That is definate mating behavior. It is actually quite common for the male clown to aggressively "knaw" at the rocks surface as well to show the female it's preparing a place for the clutch of eggs. It can often cause small tears in the snout which will heal quite easily if water quality is up to par and they are being fed nutritious foods.

Another water change or two after this one wouldn't hurt any but it sounds like it won't become a larger issue.

Cheers
Steve

:( Sadfully - the clown was dead when I got home from work. What was so wierd is that they were both so active. I am really depressed over this man... my first fish. Mostly feel bad for the loaner! :( :( :( What's also wierd is he was even knawing at the rocks just like you stated. I called liveaquaria and the were really great people... they were very sorry and sympathetic and assured me they would get another out to me as soon as possible but they were out of stock. They will ship as soon as they get more in... I hope it is soon because the other is hanging out at the top corner of the tank while lights are out and he seems unsure again because I had to move the rocks around to get the dead one out. When they are in "sleep mode" do they sometimes not swim as much? It's like the other one is hanging out with his back fin breaking the waters surface. I even stuck a cleaner pipe in there just to make sure he was healthy and he quickly darted away but gradually went back to hanging out at the surface at the corner... :|

Sorry for your loss :(

Not sure what would have caused it but I'm pretty sure it was unreleted to the nose issue. Keep a close watch on the other without startling it to be sure it remains healthy.

liquidreamer said:
When they are in "sleep mode" do they sometimes not swim as much? It's like the other one is hanging out with his back fin breaking the waters surface. I even stuck a cleaner pipe in there just to make sure he was healthy and he quickly darted away but gradually went back to hanging out at the surface at the corner... :|
It is actually quite common. Percs are typically not open water swimmers and will usually find an area where they feel safe and stick to it. Especially when the tank is dim or unlit. Don't worry about that behavior and be very careful when trying to "check up on them", it's pretty stressful for them when doing so in that manner.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom