Clown having touble, not sure whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schism

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok got this Tomato Clown about 2 weeks ago. He has done great in my 20 long since but the past few days ive noticed him chilling out in the rockwork. Then today when i got home i seen rapid breathing and he is leaning against a rock. He looks like hes stuggling. Ive never had many sick fish and am unsure what could be the problem. Water is testing fine.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5ppm
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.026 (35ppt)
Temp 79F

Other fish in tank include 6-line and gramma. Both are eating and perfectly fine. Tomato is not going for food. I see no discoloration, no cuts, wounds, spots, mucous or anything abnormal from outside appearance.

Any help on what could be happening would be greatly appreciated as i really have no clue.

Only thing done recently is a water change a few days ago. See no ich and have never had a problem with ich so im ruling it out right away. Pics attached, but hard to get a full shot and both sides but here is what i got.

Oops forgot pics, here they are.

Attachments

• image-189962736.jpg
    image-189962736.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3681589473.jpg
    image-3681589473.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2933637425.jpg
    image-2933637425.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1917642591.jpg
    image-1917642591.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 88
My Clownie did that once, and I was certain he was on death's door. Two days later...it was like nothing was ever wrong with him. I figured out that my Blue Yellow-tailed Damsel had been terrorizing him and dive bombing him. He must've gotten hit on his side or something. Perhaps one of your other fishies is picking on him, and he's very stressed. I dunno...Wish I could be of more help to you. Keep us updated!!!

Havnt seen the other fish pick on him. But got some sad news. Woke up this morning and he was wedged between two rocks being eaten by nassarius snails. I closely inspected the fish and see no signs of disease or parasites. Other fish are still perfectly fine. Never had a fish just suddenly die within 2 days of noticing signs of distress.

Anyone have any more clues? Hes dead now but i wanna figure out what happened incase my other 2 fish suddenly fall ill. Been feeding soaked food to hopefully prevent transmission possibly if thats the cause.

Schism said:
Havnt seen the other fish pick on him. But got some sad news. Woke up this morning and he was wedged between two rocks being eaten by nassarius snails. I closely inspected the fish and see no signs of disease or parasites. Other fish are still perfectly fine. Never had a fish just suddenly die within 2 days of noticing signs of distress.

Anyone have any more clues? Hes dead now but i wanna figure out what happened incase my other 2 fish suddenly fall ill. Been feeding soaked food to hopefully prevent transmission possibly if thats the cause.

I'm so sorry that happened!!! Another thing I learned while researching my clownie's condition is that sometimes those little round, flat worms you see on the aquarium glass can become lodged in their gills. The worms then stay and cause the fish to suffer respiratory distress, and they die. I guess mine was lucky. I dunno...just a thought. That's one thing I've learned so far about this aquarist business...a lot has been trial and error in figuring things out!!! Good luck to you!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss, tomatos are usually pretty hardy, and if any clown can hold their own with damsels it usually a tomato, I'm not sure what would cause the rapid breathing, do you have oxygenated water? like a protein skimmer or a lot of water movement and a choppy waters surface and an open top with good air flow on top?

coralAnn said:
I'm so sorry that happened!!! Another thing I learned while researching my clownie's condition is that sometimes those little round, flat worms you see on the aquarium glass can become lodged in their gills. The worms then stay and cause the fish to suffer respiratory distress, and they die. I guess mine was lucky. I dunno...just a thought. That's one thing I've learned so far about this aquarist business...a lot has been trial and error in figuring things out!!! Good luck to you!!!

Never had flatworms in any my tanks that ive seen or am aware of.

Saratj1 said:
Sorry to hear about your loss, tomatos are usually pretty hardy, and if any clown can hold their own with damsels it usually a tomato, I'm not sure what would cause the rapid breathing, do you have oxygenated water? like a protein skimmer or a lot of water movement and a choppy waters surface and an open top with good air flow on top?

Yep water is plenty oxygenated. 3 powerheads, 2 pointed towards surface and other two fish have no breathing problems. Open top and a ceiling fan circulating air. So dont see that being the problem. Other fish still appear fine. Still stumped on this one.

Back
Top Bottom