Clown hiding and loosing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spartachris

Aquarium Advice Regular
1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?

I've had him since February. Probably tank-bred, but not sure.

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?

Since Feb. Tank mates are one other clown and two spotted cardinal fish
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?

He comes out to eat: flakes, dried shrimp, blood worms. Really goes after the flakes.

4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?

Master saltwater: ph 7.8; Ammonia 0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 10; SPG 1.024

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?

No spots or anything, just loosing color.
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?

He has been hiding in the rocks or on the bottom. He comes out to eat and does so vigorously, but is loosing color. This has been happening now for a week. The other clown will let him eat a little, then chases him back into the rocks.

8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?

No to all.

9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.

Drip acclimation (again months ago now)
10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?

50 gallons, hob aquaclear with live rock rubble in the basket; 70 lbs of live rock and a 4" dsb.

11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?

NOne.

Again, it's all very strange. He/she was hanging out on the bottom near the rocks last Friday and Saturday, and now is hiding inside the rocks and only comes out to feed. Can't tell if it is the bigger or smaller (male or female) or even if it has changed yet.

I'm really worried about him/her/it. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!

I'm sorry but I don't know what could be the problem. I know clowns are really weird acting but to be loosing his color?

Hopefully someone else will chime in...

Here's the best I can get right now. I'm afraid it doesn't show just how pale he is.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110501_183644.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110501_183644.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 144
Ok. I think I know what's happening now, but still need advice. I fed them this morning and the pale, hiding guy came out and was feeding near the top when the other one nipped him and chased him away, back down into the rocks.

So that is what is stressing him out. What do I do about this too dominant one? Leave them alone and let them sort it out like grown-ups? :) Should I find a new home for the big one? Separate for a while? QT the stressed one?

I would really appreciate any advice!

i have 2 clowns one has faded very similar to yours in the recent day, very concerning, with my experience clowns darken when stressed at least mine seem to i would def keep an eye on him if you get the chance qt him just in case it is an early onset of brook

my thread on my fish mike left some info on brook id check to just see if they match the chars, better to be safe then sorry thinking it was just stress

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/brooklynella-151315.html

It's been almost two weeks now, and the only thing similar to what the article described was lethargy and loss of color. Well, maybe not lethargy; when he comes out he's active, but hides in the rocks almost all the time.

okay just wanted to make sure you were aware of brook with having a clown but if the condition hasnt worsened then you just got a shy clown =p lol

Thanks. Wish that were it, but I'd had him for months before this thing started, and no new tank mates for weeks. Any other ideas? Advice?

I came home for lunch a few minutes ago and did my daily feeding, but no pale clownfish showed up. Since he was always coming out of the rocks to feed, I'm wondering if he didn't go to that great anemone in the sky. And I was just going to setup the qt tonight. Sigh.

Thanks for the concern, but it was too late. Got home from work this afternoon and found him stuck to the circulation pump. RIP, Floopy-do (named by my 4 yo son). Wish I could have done something for him.

Thanks for all y'all's help (as they say down here).

I thought clowns liked a Ph of around 6.8 - 7.2 ? isnt 7.8 a little bit high. But im just a beginner so i might be wrong ?

Well, I went to the LFS and bought a new buddy for my remaining clownfish. He's in a QT right now, but is looking good, and looking longingly at the DT which is a lot more fun, no doubt.

higher your ph to about 8.4. Also some clowns are faded in color, Idk why, Just breeding and traces of DNA and stuff. also switch to mysis shrimp, flakes add phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom