1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?
I've had him since February. Probably tank-bred, but not sure.
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?
Since Feb. Tank mates are one other clown and two spotted cardinal fish
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?
He comes out to eat: flakes, dried shrimp, blood worms. Really goes after the flakes.
4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?
Master saltwater: ph 7.8; Ammonia 0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 10; SPG 1.024
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
No spots or anything, just loosing color.
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
He has been hiding in the rocks or on the bottom. He comes out to eat and does so vigorously, but is loosing color. This has been happening now for a week. The other clown will let him eat a little, then chases him back into the rocks.
8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
No to all.
9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.
Drip acclimation (again months ago now)
10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?
50 gallons, hob aquaclear with live rock rubble in the basket; 70 lbs of live rock and a 4" dsb.
11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?
Again, it's all very strange. He/she was hanging out on the bottom near the rocks last Friday and Saturday, and now is hiding inside the rocks and only comes out to feed. Can't tell if it is the bigger or smaller (male or female) or even if it has changed yet.
I'm really worried about him/her/it. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!!