Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clown hiding and loosing color

1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?

I've had him since February. Probably tank-bred, but not sure.

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?

Since Feb. Tank mates are one other clown and two spotted cardinal fish
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?

He comes out to eat: flakes, dried shrimp, blood worms. Really goes after the flakes.

4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?

Master saltwater: ph 7.8; Ammonia 0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 10; SPG 1.024

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?

No spots or anything, just loosing color.
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)? No

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?

He has been hiding in the rocks or on the bottom. He comes out to eat and does so vigorously, but is loosing color. This has been happening now for a week. The other clown will let him eat a little, then chases him back into the rocks.

8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?

No to all.

9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.

Drip acclimation (again months ago now)
10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?

50 gallons, hob aquaclear with live rock rubble in the basket; 70 lbs of live rock and a 4" dsb.

11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?

NOne.

Again, it's all very strange. He/she was hanging out on the bottom near the rocks last Friday and Saturday, and now is hiding inside the rocks and only comes out to feed. Can't tell if it is the bigger or smaller (male or female) or even if it has changed yet.

I'm really worried about him/her/it. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bump

Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm sorry but I don't know what could be the problem. I know clowns are really weird acting but to be loosing his color?

Hopefully someone else will chime in...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

any pics?
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's the best I can get right now. I'm afraid it doesn't show just how pale he is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110501_183644.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	36279  
Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. I think I know what's happening now, but still need advice. I fed them this morning and the pale, hiding guy came out and was feeding near the top when the other one nipped him and chased him away, back down into the rocks.

So that is what is stressing him out. What do I do about this too dominant one? Leave them alone and let them sort it out like grown-ups? Should I find a new home for the big one? Separate for a while? QT the stressed one?

I would really appreciate any advice!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i have 2 clowns one has faded very similar to yours in the recent day, very concerning, with my experience clowns darken when stressed at least mine seem to i would def keep an eye on him if you get the chance qt him just in case it is an early onset of brook

my thread on my fish mike left some info on brook id check to just see if they match the chars, better to be safe then sorry thinking it was just stress

Brooklynella??
Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's been almost two weeks now, and the only thing similar to what the article described was lethargy and loss of color. Well, maybe not lethargy; when he comes out he's active, but hides in the rocks almost all the time.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

okay just wanted to make sure you were aware of brook with having a clown but if the condition hasnt worsened then you just got a shy clown =p lol
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. Wish that were it, but I'd had him for months before this thing started, and no new tank mates for weeks. Any other ideas? Advice?

Tags
clown, color, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com