Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Clown tang

Does anyone have a clown tang and if so what do you feed them?

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
They are a very hard fish to keep alive and require a huge (250 gal+) tank. Very few people have long term success with them. As far as eating, they are much like any other tang. They primarily eat algae and once establised will eat just about anything.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1

They are considered "expert-only", so as beautiful as they are, I would steer clear of them. They are also known to get very aggressive as they mature.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I agree. They are aggressive BEFORE they mature!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

K thx. I got one that was about 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch before you said that. Any advice on feeding them. Here is a pic of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3871635801.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	152208  
Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, I would take it back to the LFS and say that you did not realize it was so aggressive and an expert-only fish that will require such a large tank. My thoughts with stuff like this is that if you have to ask, you are not an expert and the fish really does not stand much of a chance. Better to admit that you are probably in over your head (which I'm sure we've all probably done in this hobby) and try to save the fish. Please don't take offense...I've been in this hobby for a long time and there are still certain things that I will not take on. Expert-only is out of my league.

I also saw you had another thread asking about Ich on a Hippo Tang. What size tank do you have? How's that fish doing and how did you treat it?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasb625 View Post
K thx. I got one that was about 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch before u said that. Any advice on feeding them. Here is a pic of it.
My dad's tank has a clown tang and yes I would recommend taking it back. It's currently in his 325, and was very hard to start feeding. Also he is very aggressive to any new fish. Even him and his naso are fighting for king of the tank.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
IMO, I would take it back to the LFS and say that you did not realize it was so aggressive and an expert-only fish that will require such a large tank. My thoughts with stuff like this is that if you have to ask, you are not an expert and the fish really does not stand much of a chance. Better to admit that you are probably in over your head (which I'm sure we've all probably done in this hobby) and try to save the fish. Please don't take offense...I've been in this hobby for a long time and there are still certain things that I will not take on. Expert-only is out of my league.

I also saw you had another thread asking about Ich on a Hippo Tang. What size tank do you have? How's that fish doing and how did you treat it?
He died yesterday before i could do anything. He was a pretty fish. And i've got a 150g tank. The hippo tang is fine and we didn't treat him with anything. Just waited a couple of days and it went away. I think he just lost his slime layer and scratched himself but he is better now. Thanks for askin though
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasb625 View Post

He died yesterday before i could do anything. He was a pretty fish. And i've got a 150g tank. The hippo tang is fine and we didn't treat him with anything. Just waited a couple of days and it went away. I think he just lost his slime layer and scratched himself but he is better now. Thanks for askin though
So the clown tang and the blue hippo lived..?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

No the clown tang died by the hippo tang lives.

Tags
clown, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com