Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

clown with ick

I have a clown that I believe has ick. I just added my fish on the 11th of November. I have 125g tank w/100lbs of live rock. How do I treat this? Do I need to treat the whole tank? This is my stock list in the tank so far. 1 fire shrimp
2 starfish
2 emerald crabs
3 green chromis
2 false perculas

I have treated ick before with my fresh water tanks but I am not sure about how to treat saltwater. Can the inverts be host for the ick? I was thinking about putting all the fish in the qt and starving the ick? The other fish don"t have any signs. If I put them in the qt they will have to be treated with meds also. Would it be better to treat only the single fish and not add the others until they are ill?

I have read that you should remove all the lr, sand and invert to treat the main.That will be quite a task. I have 125lbs of sand. It wasn't live sand when I put it in. Could it be left?

My qt tank is not set-up yet for saltwater. It is only a 10g that currently has a single guppy in it . Will the biological bacteria die in the filter when I add saltwater? How can you use a qt thats not cycled? I do have a hob on my main tank but it has only been on there for about 2 weeks so I dont know how much bacteria it has on it.

What is the best way to treat ick. I have learned from my freshwater tanks that meds can be as harmful as the disease. What is the best method that will be the least stressful?Thanx for all your help

Tinia

Old 11-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
steve-s

The best and least stressful treatment would be hyposalinity. Do not under any circumstances treat in the main display for any reason.

You will need to clean the 10 gal QT and reset up for all the fish in the main tank. If possible I would urge you to get a larger QT as the 10 gal will be quite taxing on water quality, a 20 gal long or larger. You can then transfer the HOB from the main and fill the QT with the main tanks water. Do not add any sand or rock, just PVC elbows and short tube sections for the fish to hide in.

Some articles for you to read....

Marine ich...
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html

Hyposalinity...
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
Be especially mindful of pH during the treatment but especially during the initial salinity drop. You will most likely need a good marine buffer on hand to keep the pH constant. I would also suggest buffering the RO ater used for the salinity dilution.

The need to quarantine...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

8O okay I am crazy. I saw these little white spots all over one of my clown this morning at about 6:30 am ( I had my son look and he saw them too) When I got home at 9:30 am and checked the fish they were gone. Where did they go. I read the articles you asked my to read ( they were very informative ) and from what I understand the white spots should be there for a while before they fall off. My fish didn't have any spots yesterday. I watch them all very closely to make sure they are all eating and that they are acting normal. I drive my family with how much I watch my fish. My clowns like to swish the sand with their tails could've this been sand? My husband thought that was what it was but I didn't think the sand would stick to them. I guess I should watch them for a few days.

Thanx

Tinia
Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
My moms clown came down with ich not to long ago. It was in terrible shape and was housed with a firefish. I thought it would be in the best interest for the fish to be left in the display and provided with exceptional water conditions and it recovered. It was a gamble we took and it ended up working out.

I do not advocate the method we used, but for our case we took the risk and thought it was in the best interest for the fish to be left alone. I have had 2 clowns die from ich and I tried treating both to have them just die from stress of the QT.

Treating is almost ALWAYS the better option but I thought I would share my experiances. Good luck!
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkx3
My clowns like to swish the sand with their tails could've this been sand? My husband thought that was what it was but I didn't think the sand would stick to them. I guess I should watch them for a few days.
Common nesting behavior for many damsel species. Do watch carefully over the next 7-10 days. Crypt can be rather deceiving in the early stages. It can easily be sand caught in the slime coat or trapped debris. Time will tell one way of the other.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought some garlicXtreme from the lfs. Does this help? I am a little confused about the instructions. It says to soak the food at the ratio of 2 drops to one teaspoon. That is way to much food for one sitting. I only have 5 small fish. Can I treat one teaspoon and save it? How exactly do you soak all the food? 2 drops is not that much fluid. Do you add water? Would it be better to just add 10drops to the tank? Is this less effective? My clown is acting fine. She is active and eating so far.

Tinia
Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
The whole theory about garlic is that you want the fish to ingest the garlic. Many people swear it works, however, there has been no proof of this.

I would put the food in a little cup and add a bit of water, then I would add 1-2 drops of the garlic to the cup and let it get nice and saturated for a minute or 2.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanx guy so much for your help. I am still not sure I have ick. This morning when I turned the light on the clowns were asleep in a bed they dug in the sand. My sand is like sugar. The clown in question only had two or three spots on her, yesterday she was covered. I am preparing to treat my fish if it is needed. How long can I wait before I start a treatment. I am thinking about removing my inverts and using hypo on the main tank. I only have a 10g tank right now for qt and I am afraid to put five fish in there. I am thinking about getting some type of rubbermaid container to put he inverts in. I can't put them in the 10g. It has been used for a copper treatment. What other type of equitment will they need? I know that hypo will kill anything living in the lr but will it harm the beneficial bacteria?
I am thinking about removing the inverts instead of the fish because it will much easier to catch the inverts. I'll just remove the rock their on and the inverts don't cause that much of a bio-load on the new temporary system. I have a hob on the main tank but it has only been there for 2 weeks. I am hoping it will have enough bacteria to support the inverts. If I am making the wrong choice please let me know.

Thanx,

Tinia
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
steve-s

I would actually suggest you do that the other way 'round. Put the fish in the rubbermaid tub and leave the main tank alone. The basic equipment still applies.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...tinetanks.html

Bacteria will be supressed some but unlike copper treatments it will not be destroyed and will recover. The main concern is to be sure pH is maintained at all times, can't stress that one enough. You also need to acurately measure salinity. Hypo will kill everything except bacteria and the fish so anything living in the rock and sand will perish. It can make maintaining water quality quite difficult.

As far as how long you have, that will greatly depend on if any return and in what number. The heavier the infestation the higher probability gill function will be impaired.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is third day since I originally saw the spots. There was nothing this morning. 2 days in a row now. I am trying to get my hands on a bigger used tank and I am trying to by some time here and let the filter pads in the hob mature. Today is three weeks since I added them. They were put in there in the first place for a qt for my next new fish. I have my fingers crossed. Oh, I also need to mention that one of my green chromis is twitching kinda like it is trying to shake something off. I haven't seen any flashing on objects. The other clown sometimes will rub its sides in the sand but it is always swishing and playing in the sand. He is my hole digger.

Tinia

Tags
clown, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com