Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clown with ick I think

My tank recently cycled and I added a clownfish and my cleanup crew this is a biocube 14 I later added a Firefish and a green chromis I know it's overstocked I will soon be upgrading to biocube 29 so I'm new to this and I need help I think my clown has ick I'm scared it my go on the other fish and how do I treat it with medication I can't set up a quarantine tank so I need help after I saw my fish had ick or at least I think its ick I added diseas prevention probiotic from marine max and I was thinking of adding melafix or pimafix help me plz also if this dosent work I'm returning the fish to the Lfs but I heard once I put the fish in the tank the tan kiss infected help in the future when adding more fish while aclimating I will ad disease prevention probiotic and pimafix or melafix help me :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	217818  

Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

These are important lessons in salt water, you can't overstock a tank ( even if you plan on upgrading later) and you must quarantine new arrivals. If you can't afford to set up a QT or hospital tank you can't afford the hobby! It's the cold hard truth I am afraid. No medicine will cure ich, the only ways are to treat in a separate tank with either copper or hypersalinity - you must then leave your tank fallow (fish less) for 6-8 weeks in order for the ich to die off.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So how long do I leave the fish in the quarantine tank or what do I need to set one up and I need it to be small or do I just return the fish and try a ick prevention on the other fish like i said with melafix and pimafix
Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quarantine

So how long do I leave the fish in the quarantine tank or what do I need to set one up and I need it to be small or do I just return the fish and try a ick prevention on the other fish like i said with melafix and pimafix
And does the clown have ich I need a specific awnser
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
These are important lessons in salt water, you can't overstock a tank ( even if you plan on upgrading later) and you must quarantine new arrivals. If you can't afford to set up a QT or hospital tank you can't afford the hobby! It's the cold hard truth I am afraid. No medicine will cure ich, the only ways are to treat in a separate tank with either copper or hypersalinity - you must then leave your tank fallow (fish less) for 6-8 weeks in order for the ich to die off.
I don't have a quarantine tank, so I'm treating my main display with copper treatment. Should be safe for fish, but a couple of my snails have died as a consequence. I also hear it will kill some of the BB (but not completely). But it's not a lost cause. The fish should get better and the ich should treat after the allotted time. Overall, you do not "NEED" a quarantine tank, but it is recommended to have one to avoid casualties like mine.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Melafix and primafix will do nothing for ich, you can treat you display (as mentioned above) with a copper based medication but know that your inverts will die and you cannot use the tank or rocks for a reef, ever. Post some more pics of the clown before doing anything drastic, just to make sure. Also be aware that until you rehome some of your fish you will always face these problems, 14g is good for one fish only, probably a small goby...

Tags
clown, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com