clown with white spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zapdbf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new tank, with 3 clown fish in it. one of the clowns have white spots on the fin and on the body near the bottom of the fish. i noticed this 2 days ago, and it seems to be getting worse what could it be and could the other three clowns become affected.
(btw the tank has cycled)
- he is eating normaly
- other two clowns pick on it occasionaly, not that bad.
water params
sg = 1.024
nitrate/nitrite/ammo/ =0
ph =8.2
temp = 78F
I beleve i may be dealing with ich, what is a good solution to fix this fish.

20 lb lr only nothing else
i have a tank i can use for this, not setup yet

I'm not going to be the one to help you fix this, but you might want to describe the spots. It could be ick or marine velvet. Google on both and see if anything hits home for you.

What kinda meds you applying? Of course, certain meds cannot be used in your main tank if you ever want coral or inverts. Also check the article at this site on setting up a QT tank. You may need to do that yesterday.

none yet will tonight asap, i don't need it to spread to the other two fish.

DO NOT MED YOUR MAIN :!: If you must treat the main and you are sure it is ich I would put the LR in a tote with a powerhead and do hypo on the tank. If you med the tank with LR and sand you will ruin it. With only 20 lbs of rock you could leave it in there but if you have crabs etc they will die. If it is something other than ich put the fish in QT to apply med.

i set up a qt tank with a hob filter with the filter removed, it was a 10 gal tank i took 5 gal from some salt water i was letting age, and 5 gal from my main tank, un fortunitatley i needed to get that 5 gal of water back in the main tank so i mixed some up and waited about an hour to to slowley put back in my main, i know it was pritty quick but i needed to get that 5 gal back in because my skimmer was out of the water and my canister filter's return was blowing water everywhere. i guess i need to have more than 5 gal of salt ready when i need it.

I'm pritty sure it is ick , the lfs said it should clear up in about 3 days, on the fish, he does not seem to be getting any worse now. i will keep you posted. thanks for advice

Keep in mind that ich can still live in your main with the other clowns in there to host it. The only way to be sure the ich is gone is to leave the main fallow for 6-8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom