Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Blondek727
Clownfish all of a suddon sick

I have had this fish for 3 days not sure if there tank breed or wild cought they have been in my system for 3 days the only other fish in the tank is his gf the fish are eating mysis and pellits there is no aggression in the tank the peramitters are as follows gh180, kh240, ph 8.1, no3 0, no2 0, ammonia 0.15. He's faded one the top of his head and swimming at the top on his side but moving alot not just hovering there. He was acclamated doing the measuring cup meathed 2 days ago and was fine untill this morning the tank is ten gallons. It has about 7 pounds of liverock. And has a marineland penguen bio wheel 100. There are no additives

Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The funny thing is as he's at the top he is still chasing thoughs copepods as they run by on the glass so he's def eating

Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You got ammonia present. How long has the tank been up and how did you cycle it? Are you cycling it with the clowns? Fish don't do well in ammonia.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tank is almost done cycling the ammonia levels keep going down but in the mean time is there anything I can do
Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should I set up a tank and acclamat then to it and wait till the main tank is done cycling
Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

QT tank is always a good idea for new additions, regardless of if you're cycling or not. Might wanna consider returning those clowns to the store and finish your cycle with a grocery store shrimp. Ya still gotta cycle a QT tank. See article at this site for fishless cycling.

How high did your ammonia levels get up to? Hasn't the nitrite started rising yet?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The ammonia went up to about 0. 50 the nitrate went up a little but is at 0 now i did a couple water changes sence then including one this morning tested the water and nitrate and nitrite both zero but ammonia is inbetween 0ppm and 0.25ppm ooh and I orderd the fish off line to returning is out of question they would probably die on the way back
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As said, fish don't like ammonia! I'd do a substantial water change, 50% ish to keep it low. Make sure the param's of the new water are the same as the tank water otherwise your gonna stress the fish out even more.

Keep an eye on the ammonia then for the next few days and do more water changes as necessary. It's an expensive way of cycling a marine tank, much better to do it fishless with liverock, less water changes involved.

Could also get hold of some purigen or polyfilter to help.

Ad
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #9

Worth noting, clowns do behave quite strangely...they are clowns after all.

I had one who used to sleep on his side at the top of the tank. I was always having to check he was still alive.

Ad
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #10

Mine sleep on their side at top of tank

To look at them in the morning you'd think they were dead. One likes to also sleep near the water intake going to back of nano- I guess he likes the water brushing past him as he sleeps. They take a good 30 minutes to wake up and get active.
Could your fish just be sleeping? Or is he exhibiting this behavior through out the day?

Tags
clown, clownfish, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com