Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Clownfish and ick

Every time I get a clown it dies. It ends up with ick or getting sick.. Is there a way to keep them from getting ick? Or sick for that matter? Help please!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awh man that sucks! Unfortunately I'm not familiar with clownfish and the precautions with ick. I like clown though and I would love to get some later on! Hope someone helps you out!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many have you gone through? What size tank is it and how long has it been set up? Clowns are considered quite a hardy fish so something must be wrong. Tell us more about your set up, filtration, how much live rock, orher tank mates? How do you acclimate? Do you have any other fish that are fine/not effected? Clowns aren't known to get ich unless its from another fish. Do you QT fish before you introduce them?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

I don't qt and I have kept damsels and gobys before none of which died they were re homed. I have a 10 gallon with about 14lbs of live rock a hob refugium and a hob filter full of chemi pure elite
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

There could be any number of reasons they are dying. If its a 10 gal, I would be careful about over crowding. How often do you feed? Do you track your water parameters? What were your water parameters last time you tested? is your local LFS a privately owned retailer? Or is it a large company? large companies typically use one big Eco system, becareful about getting fish on a connected system, if one tank has ich, they all do. Do yo take your time with acclimation? Should take about an hour if not more. I don't use a qt either, the only time I have caught ich was when my fish were purchased from petco. They used one big Eco system, (are their tanks are connected). I prefer to buy my fish from a private retailer who has all separate tanks. Also, with live rock, I'm assuming you don't use copper to attack your ich, it takes about a month for ich to starve out. I personally would wait two just to be safe.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #6

My parameters are all zero and yes I do buy from petco. The one here is all separate though, nothing is connected and no I don't use copper I have In the past with a qt but I don't have room anymore. I bough another one and this one just seems to be happy and thriving! Fingers crosses
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukup31 View Post
My parameters are all zero and yes I do buy from petco. The one here is all separate though, nothing is connected and no I don't use copper I have In the past with a qt but I don't have room anymore. I bough another one and this one just seems to be happy and thriving! Fingers crosses
How often do you feed, one thing that always killed my clowns was I fed every other day. Since I have dropped to once every 5 days they thrive
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed every two to three days and my clown acts like I never feed him and he is fat an sassy
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleMorte View Post
I feed every two to three days and my clown acts like I never feed him and he is fat an sassy
They always act like that.they act no different if you were to feed them every day lol. But they will be fine when decreasing their feeding. They can and will graze off rocks for food as well
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

I feed twice a day but not much, and here and there i miss a day. But I guess ill drop my feeding down

Tags
clown, clownfish, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com