Clownfish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, recently (a week ago) I added my first fish, a Clownfish.

I added the one with the intention of getting another one ASAP which happened to be today.

I acclimatised the fish, 20 mins water adjusting, then gradually added small amounts of water - all in all it was about 1 hour 30 before adding the Clownfish to the tank.

Everything seemed fine with it, swimming around happily etc..

I checked in on it a few times - all fine, then I check in later on and it's dead :(

I have no idea why this happend, perhaps it was just one of those things? I don't know. It's crappy though I know that! :(

My water parameters are all good.

The fish died within six hours.

I'm sorry about the fish. Does you LFS have a 24 hour guarantee? If so, you need to take the body of the fish back with a sample of your water for the store to test. Sometimes a fish isn't as "well" as they look or don't acclimate well to a new location no matter how well you acclimate before releasing. It might have just been the stress of the move.

the tank was patialy cycled..and i never water changed.the smaller one died first then i did awater change..and still the larger one died the day after..i learned though

All it takes is a small ammonia spike to kill off your fish. You would have been best off waiting for the cycle to end.

Thats it exactly in this hobby time and patience will save you money and the fish's lives. Ammonia is deadly to fish so until the cycled you can leave the lights off, and just play around with rock designs or plan out the tank how you want it. Dont rush things and don't impulse buy, once the cycle is done, do a PWC to reduce the nitrates you may have and then begin to add fish, slowly...

I went back to the store and they gave me another Clownfish yesterday.

I acclimatised it over a longer period, added it to the tank, everything was pretty much fine except for a bit of fighting but nothing severe.

Last night the Clownfish was fine, I check this morning and it's dead??

What could be happening? Is my existing Clownfish killing them?

He was only in there for a week on his own before I added another.

Also, I'm slightly wondering if the store gave me a True Percula Clownfish instead of a Ocellaris Clownfish?

The reason I wonder that is that although my Clownfish is exactly like this:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred

He does have a black patch between the first two white stripes, is this something Ocellaris Clownfish can have, or something they never have?

I have a picture of it, just need to try and get it onto the PC (can't find the cable!)

But it does have a black patch between the first and second stripes.

Picture:

clownxe.jpg

Hes been alone for a week already in the new tank, I bet hes got his territory setup and any clown you add now will just be tormented and picked on until he dies from stress or jumps out of the tank.

My suggestion is leave him be they do fine alone and if hes killing his mates then theres no reason to waste money and fish lives anymore.

u probably got a false percula and but it in with your true percula..i have 2 true perculas in my tank ..they do fine..when i first introduced the 2nd smaller one thebigger one would keep attacking it to show domence but that stopped

Hes been alone for a week already in the new tank, I bet hes got his territory setup and any clown you add now will just be tormented and picked on until he dies from stress or jumps out of the tank.

My suggestion is leave him be they do fine alone and if hes killing his mates then theres no reason to waste money and fish lives anymore.

Yeah this is exactly what I've decided to do, not worth trying anymore now.

Can't you take it back to the lfs and get two new ones?
My lfs would let me do that no probs.
It's worth asking,

Most LFS dont have a guarantee on any marine life if they do then good on them but everyone in my city does not even have a 24hr policy only an exchange/buyback system

They already replaced the one that died, I added that fish and within a day, it too died.

I haven't tried since, I think the current Clownfish is defending territory but yeah, I did have the idea of returning the one and getting a pair in one go.

As long as your water is ok they should exchange the one you have and pay extra for one more.

My first two fish was two tank bred clowns.
I got them home and the just fought till they both died. I have a video of them biting on to eachothers fins and spinning around.

Do you have alot of rock in your tank?
You could try changing it around and taking the clown out for half hour and then put it back. Might think it's in a new tank then.

I could but I think I'm happy with just the one now, he seems happy enough but on the other hand, I would like to see him with some company.

Thanks for your advice, I like the idea of removing him and moving the rock around.

Back
Top Bottom