Clownfish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok we had a pair of clown fish die about 2 weeks ago. This was the 2nd pair of clowns in 2 weeks. So what we did was took all the water out and put in water from the LFS coral tank. We let it mini-cycle. So we put our new clownfish in the tank. This time we got small ones. They have now also died. They lasted the same amout of time in the tank as the others did and also they did the same thing right before they died. This being going up to the top of the tank like they are gasping for air. All of our levels are perfect everytime this happens. Nobody has been able to tell us what is wrong. I am about done with this tank if nobody can tell us what is going on.

What is your filter? Do you have power heads? Where did the sand, rock and whatever else in the tank come from?

I would highly suggest cycling your tank and not using used water, it doesnt contain the beneficial bacteria that you need. It will take awhile but thats the only way to ensure that the fish can live.

Are you testing your own water? what kind of test kit? Strips or liquid?

Its a biocube, we use ro water, we use the api test kit.

It takes a lot to kill a clown, and 2 at a time is rare. There has to be a source of high ammonia or severe lack of oxygen to the tank.

How old is the test kit?

Our test kit is new and at first we had 2 clowns in the same tank for 2 months then we wanted a mated pair and that is when everything started to happen

It could be disease, like ich, that starts in the gills. Two months seems like a long time for it to be an ammonia/cycling issue. When you get the clowns research how to do a freshwater dip, only do it for a minute or two in a clear container, if it is flukes (another disease), they will fall off and you will see them on the bottom of the container. Are you getting the clowns from the same fish store? Have you looked in all the tanks (water is almost always shared in all tanks) and seen if you can see disease like ich on the fish? For example, my local petco has ich in there tanks, I have seen new shipments come in fine and gone back a few days later to see them all covered in ich. Just some thoughts besides water issues, maybe it's a health issue. Hopefully you have a powerheads in the ank also?

You might also want to reconsider two clowns in a 14 gallon cube, one is probably pushing it for that size tank :(

It takes a lot to kill a clown, and 2 at a time is rare. There has to be a source of high ammonia or severe lack of oxygen to the tank.

How old is the test kit?

in the past, oh say three months or so. we have somehow managed to kill about 3 or 4 pairs. they always die together though (usually within a few hours of each other.)

the first pair we got, we kept for 2 months with no problem. then we traded them in for a "bonded pair". and since then, we have been losing the pairs left and right... we just dont know what to do anymore......

If clowns were delicate fish I would say try a chromis or some other hardy fish. But clowns are difficult to kill. Since you were able to keep them for 2 months no problem then within the last month or so you have killed 3+ pairs something must have changed since the first pair. I assuming you purchased the new pairs quickly after the prior pair died. So that would mean that what killed the first set is killing all subsequent pairs.

The first pair must have brought in a disease like flukes or velvet. These diseases (parasites) kill quickly and need a long fallow period for them to die. A week with no fish to kill is not anything for them to withstand. Research those two possible diseases and see if there is any chemical that can kill it. If not, leave your tank empty for at least 2 months and a week. They cannot live that long without another meal.

sstanle4 said:
the first pair we got, we kept for 2 months with no problem. then we traded them in for a "bonded pair". and since then, we have been losing the pairs left and right... we just dont know what to do anymore......

The sad part is if you had two, you already had a bonded pair, if they are getting along and not killing each other they are bonded. One will become female and the other male.

Look into the diseases and leave the tank empty as suggested. Get a 20g used to use as a quarantine tank. Put a filter in the cube, let it run for about 3 weeks, then take it out and put it in the QT, go from there. Usually with ich, it would take awhile to kill a clown, flukes and velvet act faster.

the first pair were starting to fight really bad. they were relatively the same size and the larger one would not take charge. it just kept getting worse and worse. that's the only reason we got a new pair.

ok we will look into those things. thank you.

we talked to our LFS and the research we have done leads us to velvet disease. our LFS said to coral dip our rocks.. do you all believe this will work? we need opinions.. please and thank you!

Your tank isn't that large. I have never heard of coral dip killing velvet disease. It may be easier to throw away the rock and sand. Clean the tank with bleach and water. Use prime by seachem to neutralize the bleach and start over.

Is there any other way? Do we have to put the bleach in there or could we put freshwater in there?

This sounds like a lack of oxygen,i would start again,but take the time to cycle the tank,use goldfish for about 6 weeks,and ich,if thats the problem,attacks the gills,so use higher temp and salt to cure the problem,ich will die off in 3 days of this treatment,and affected fish will clear up,i would not use any medications unless in a hospital tank,chances are your fish are dying as they are being poisoned by there own waste

We dont think that it is the ich. We are almost 100% sure that it was/is the velvet one. Would we need to just throw everything out, clean the tank with just water, then cycle it again?

Is there any other way? Do we have to put the bleach in there or could we put freshwater in there?

I wouldn't just use water. For a gallon of water in a bucket I would use half a cup of bleach. Rinse it well add water and a capfull of prime. Test the water again.

It's not my tank,so you can only use water.

Back
Top Bottom