Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clownfish died from ick?

So my tank stock was: clownfish, blood shrimp, 5 hermits in my 17g. I took in a friends 6 line wrasse, peppermint shrimp and few coral. Yesterday we took out his wrasse, shrimp and his coral. And added some of his rock to my tank. He called me after and said his wrasse had ick he tried to treat it. I checked my clown and he had couple white spots and few on his face. Today I came home and he was dead so sad.

What do I do from here? When can I replace him? My shrimp don't seem to be effected

Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shrimp can't get Ich. If you have no more fish in the tank, your best bet is to leave it fallow (fish less) for two months. Any Ich that is in there (and it is if your fish had it) will die off due to not having a host. You are free to add fish afterwards and they should be fine. QT prior to adding them alleviates the possibility of bringing disease/parasites into your display tank.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie.636 View Post
So my tank stock was: clownfish, blood shrimp, 5 hermits in my 17g. I took in a friends 6 line wrasse, peppermint shrimp and few coral. Yesterday we took out his wrasse, shrimp and his coral. And added some of his rock to my tank. He called me after and said his wrasse had ick he tried to treat it. I checked my clown and he had couple white spots and few on his face. Today I came home and he was dead so sad.

What do I do from here? When can I replace him? My shrimp don't seem to be effected
If it killed that quick, I personally don't think it was Ick.

The two quick killers that are commonly confused with Ick are Brooklynella and Marine Velvet.

If there's no other livestock in the tank, I'd let it run fallow for about 6 weeks.

Good luck!
Frank
Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for the advice. My clown had two white spots on his side and his face had a couple white blotches. I came home the next day and he was dead. The only thing I have added was a lawn mower blenny. I'm transferring my tank to a 35g so I'm not adding anything new until then.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what do you have left on the tank that the clown died in? If there are any fish left, they could be the next victims if nothing is done to irradiate whatever is in the tank.

I agree that it was probably not Ich, but probably brook or velvet. Ich usually does not kill within a day or two and there are usually several spots, not just a couple.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

So what do I need to do with my tank in that case? I put in a lawnmower blenny cause I have a bit of hair algae. I don't plan on putting anything in until I transfer to my 35g.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are going to transfer everything, I would move everything over, but the Blenny. Let that new tank sit fallow for 8 weeks. Whatever might be in any water, sand or rock should die off. Keep an eye on the Blenny, treat if something pops up. I'd probably even consider doing freshwater dips before finally adding it to the new tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com