Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
Clownfish Died, what should I do?

I had 2 false percs, a few various damsels and 40lbs of live rock for my 55 gallon tank while it cycled. I have been testing everyday for the last few weeks. My Nitrites were on the way down and I was preparing for new fish. Two days ago the tank had a bit of brown algae on the sand but not enough to worry about. Yesterday one of my clowns looked like his skin was peeling or shedding on one side of his face. He was eating fine so I didn't worry to much. This morning I woke up to find him dead.

Everything seemed normal for a few week old tank:
SG: 1.024
PH: 8.2
Am: 0.0
n'ite: .7 (on the way down)
n'ate: 20

Should I just accept the loss, or should I research any deeper to find the cause?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I think the fact your tank is not cycled is the reason.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It is most likely a direct cause from the ammonia/nitrites, but the symptoms are that of a parasite called Brooklynella hostilis. This is also called "clownfish disease/malady". As this is a possibility and it is contagious to other fish, you need to leave your tank fishless for a period of no less than 4 weeks.

More info on Brooklynella >>here<<.

You should also be quarantining all your fish, more info on quarantine can be found >>here<<.

Information on cycling without the use of live fish can be found >>here<<.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
Thank you for the information, it does seems to be Brooklynella. I am hoping it does not spread. Should I move the other fish into a quarantine tank or should I just watch closely to see if any others get sick?

As for the cycling, I will probably cycle all future tanks without fish. This one is already on the down slope of the Nitrites so I assume the cycling is just about complete.

Tags
clown, clownfish, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com