Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
is back to save the day!

Clownfish Emergency

Ok, seriously, i don't know what's up with my two ocellaris. They are REALLY fighting eachother. They are even biting eachother, and twice they were like lip locked together. They are doing it right now.. They keep biting at eachother. Please i need some help or info!! Is this bad!!??

Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

From my history with FW that sounds like there trying to figure out whos domonit. Trying to find out whos boss. cichlids often lip lock to find out who is gonna be top dog of the tank. Clownfish are damsels, which are apparently aggressive. So i am guessing they are doing what i said and making a pecking order.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
is back to save the day!

They've been going at it for so long now! They legit aren't stoping at all.

And this is SOOO why i don't like aggressive fish.. even if they are only semi-aggressive. This is pretty gut wrenching because i have no clue how to make them stop.. and i can't really do anything.. -_-
Old 08-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait for some one else to chime in with more experience but i would just leave them alone for right now and let them fight, cause like i said, it sounds like they are fighting for dominince in the tank. If they aren't doing any damage to each other i would just wait, atleast over night. If there is a moonlight for overnight i would leave that off. Another thing that people say works with clown fish is turn off the lights on the aquarium and rearange some things to reset there terrotries. But wait for someone else to chime in before you do that.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok well clowns, particularly false percs arent aggressive..not even really towards each other..how long have they been fighting? (how long is sooo ling) and were they added at the same time? and both are oce's right? not a true pec and afalse perc... I have 3 clowns(false percs, 2 orange and 1 black) i put them in one at a time and they bickered a bit..mainly the two orange ones, i got them from the same shipment so they were about the same size so they had to establish order.. then I added the black one which was larger than both and she just came in and literally ran them around the tank for about 4 days. do you have an anemone hat one is hosted to? how large is your tank and do they have enough room so they can both have their own personal space?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a dominants fight. This will happen if they are basicly the same size. They should be okay, just watch them. Not much you can do at the moment anyway.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine bickered for a little bit then stopped but they do take their own spots in the tank and when they want they hang around together then when they are done they go back to their spots. Try putting a little pile of rocks in the other corner of the tank but leave some space behind the rock. If I remember correctly all of your rock is piled in the corner with no back access and or hiding spots, try breaking it up a bit and give them their own places so to speak.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
is back to save the day!

I think thincat hit it right on the money. They are EXACTLY the same size, and even the same colors. Also, i didn't just pile up the rocks lol, there's actually tons of place for them to go, and they do. One is all the way in the rocks right now where i cant even see him. :p Whenever i shut the lights off and its dark they stop fighting, so i guess i could do that whenever they do..
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

I think one of my clowns is on the verge of death now. i've looked closer at the fish and hes sustained some pretty bad rips and tears on his fins.. and has lost quite a bit of color on the edges of his fins. I hope he can make a recovery.. but i just don't see it.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep your water as clean as possible. Do not add any meds as they just complicate things. Transfer to a QT if needed.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com