clownfish ... ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cupramine. You could also do a hypo treatment. You will need to keep your tank fishless/fallow for 6wks to kill off the parasite as well.

Fluff said:
Cupramine. You could also do a hypo treatment. .
Make sure it's one other the other though, not both simultatiously.

Cheers
Steve

When your tank is ready to use again, I strongly recommend getting at least one cleaner shrimp. We just bought a regal blue tang and she was covered in ick within 2 days. By the end of 1 day, the cleaner had cleared it completely off of the tang and it has been a week since she has been clear.

i have one cleaner shrimp in the tank.
do i still need to give medication to the clownfish?

The cleaner shrimp will be ineffective against a parasite. At best your just prolonging the inevitable. The shrimp does not break the life cycle of the parasite but simpley slows it down some and is usually more miss than hit.

If your sure the clown has C. irritans, QT and treat. It's your only sure way of maintaining a parasite free display tank...

Cheers
Steve

If you have other fish in the system, they may need treatment too. If the parasite made it into your system, the main will need to remain fishless for 6 weeks for the parasite to die off.

ick wont affect any inverts. if you move the inverts to the QT they will perish once treatment with copper begins. QT the fish and leave the main fishless for the 6 weeks. I am going to add my clowns to the main after an empty tank and qt period thanks to ick.

i have bought a ich medication for my fish.
it contain no copper and the instruction says that i can put the medi into the main tank that won't harm all fish, corals and invertrates.
is this safe?

leesanhua said:
the instruction says that i can put the medi into the main tank that won't harm all fish, corals and invertrates.
If the med is considered invertebrate safe, it will usually also not be strong enough to kill a parasite.

is this safe?
What is the brand name?

Cheers
Steve

It is a 50/50 chance wether or not the product will work. More often than not, it won't be affective. Ruby Reef and Fish-vet put out similar products and neither are 100% effective.

It has now been a full week since your first post. How is the clowns appearance?

Cheers
Steve

the one of the clown color has fade out. will it die?
what should i do? buy another medi and put them in the QT? or keep trying on the medi that i bought?

leesanhua said:
the one of the clown color has fade out. will it die?
First be sure of what your treating. Faded/loss of color is symptematic of many illnesses. Has the clown developed any more/less spots or is there anything additional you can add description wise.

what should i do? buy another medi and put them in the QT? or keep trying on the medi that i bought?
The med you already purchased should really be returned if possible. It won't be effective. As far as what you should get, it will depend on your answers to the above question. Sick fish that require medicating will definately need to be QT'd.

Cheers
Steve

no more white spot for now.. but don't know how it's going to be after few days.
but only the color fade out. oh.. and the top fin keeps close to the body. i think it call "crap"? or "crab"?
sorry my english is bad

leesanhua said:
no more white spot for now.. but don't know how it's going to be after few days.
but only the color fade out. oh..
How long have the spots been gone and are you noticing any whitish film floating about the clown or any red sores?

and the top fin keeps close to the body. i think it call "crap"? or "crab"?
sorry my english is bad
I think the word your looking for is "clamping". If you own a digital camera or can borrow one, posting a clear closeup image would help immensely.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom