Clownfish: Itchy, or mating dance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Both of my Percula clownfish came down with Brooklynellosis 10 days ago, so I moved them to a 5 gallon nano I've turned into a QT tank. Sometimes the female and male do the mating dance to each other, sometimes the female rushes at the male, and I think has been nipping at him, but I'm not sure. Whenever the male seems to get a little stressed (One time I found him hiding behind the HOT filter from the female), I put him in a breeder net to separate him from the other, but most of the times they're fine.
I did a 20% water change today, and ever since I did the change, the female had been acting strange, doing a quick jittery dance with it's nose towards the bottom. I've included the video below
YouTube - Clownfish shaking

Try putting something in there for them to hide in, even if it's just some small pvc pipe elbows. She could just be stressed out. Also, as well as doing your 20% water change, have you tested the water in the tank? Just to be sure it's not being irritated by nitrite or something, especially since it looks as if there is nothing in there for good bacteria to grow on to help cycle the QT tank.

My treatment is either a 1min freshwater dip, a hyposalinity dip up to 10min (Or shorter if they show stress), or a 10sec formalin/malachite green dip followed by a 1min freshwater dip. I've tested the tank as well, and nitrites and nitrates are always 0

First off - that is fantastic video! So clear.
She looks pretty good, actually. Maybe looking for a place to settle in. Try the pipe idea. She doesn't seem to be having trouble swimming but may be irritated by the parasite. Did she have white patches and they have now cleared up? If so, that is a great sign.

When I first found the fish sick, both of their faces were turning white, their gills were flared, they were gasping for air at the surface, most likely blind with whatever white stuff was covering their face as they were bumping into everything, the female was very lethargic and the male was racing around in straight lines, only changing direction when he ran into something
I dunno where the pictures on my HDD went, so I took the pics I uploaded to FishForum.com, sorry for the watermark
Here's the male when I found him sick
MaleCF.jpg

And here's the female
FemaleCF.jpg

As for the FW dip, I've had quite good results with the FW dip, as it has helped my Longnose Butterflyfish when he had ich and lymphocystis (Also the 2 pacific cleaner shrimp helped as well), and also against the current battle with Brooklynellosis (With the 10sec formalin/malachite green dip as well)

Last edited:
Wow, you sure get a lot of unhealthy fish. You may want to think about finding another LFS. Where are you getting them?

I got them from a place called Aquatic World in Stuart, FL. I've always gone to them because the prices are good, they seem to have the most healthy tanks in the area (Though that could be presentation), they seem to know a lot about fish and compatibility (Other than one of the people there having no idea what Brooklynellosis is, though it wasn't in their fish-disease book), and they always have worked with me for the best product for the cheapest price.

Back
Top Bottom