Clownfish losing its color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tristan65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my clownfish for about 2 to 3 weeks now. For some reason the orange is much less bright than before, getting greyish. What happened? Can I do something? Is it sick?

It is quite possibly sick, or malnurished.

Tell us about your tank...
What size tank?
What type tank?
What else is in the tank?
What filter is used?
Do you have LR?
If so, how much?
When did you get the clown?
What is the Specific Gravity of the tank?
What is the temp?
Does the temp fluctuate?
What is the ammonia level?
What is the nitrite level?
What is the PH?
What is the nitrate level?
Phosphate level?
Can you post a pic of the clown?
What do you feed the clown?
How often do you feed the clown?

Got the clown May 12. Haven't checked phosphate level -- need to buy that test kit. Feeding the fish mostly frozen mysis shrimp and some Spectrum from time to time. I feed once a day. Sometimes (mostly week-ends) twice a day, smaller portions. See tank info in signature. I'll try to post a pic later -- he wants to hide and sleep now...

Feeding the fish mostly frozen mysis shrimp and some Spectrum from time to time.

You might try to vary the fishes diet more, there is another possibility that I'm gonna hold back on, until I see the pic. You should get a better nitrite kit, .15ppm, is a considerable amount of nitrite, not knowing how low it is could be detrimental to your tank. There is also a strong possibility of aggression from the damsels. How long has the tank been set up?

What do you recommend that I add to their diet? I'll see if I can get a better nitrite kit although the solution was very pale, if not completely transparent, so I assume the amount of nitrite is very low. The damsels mostly chase each other; the clown often swims "in open water" -- without hiding behind rocks -- and doesn't get chased (at least when I'm watching...). Tank was set up April 19, 2003. I'm starting to think I may be adding fish too quickly but I thought I was ok since water tests looked good.

What do you recommend that I add to their diet?

Hmm, you might try soaking their food in Selcon or equivilant, you should add some other meaty foods to the diet, possibly one of the mixed frozen foods. I make my own fish food using a variety of fresh seafood and nori. You really should experiment and feed them any foods they will eat.

Does the clown exhibit any other symptoms besides the loss of color? For example excess mucus production.

I haven't noticed any excess mucus production. How would I see that? BTW, did you see my other post on "feather duster suicide"? Just wondering if this could be related.

All I can say, is you would notice it, the mucus would stream off the fish. I did see your other post, and it may, or may not be related. I would like to see some more test results, possibly you could take a sample to the LFS and they could test it for you?

I was planning on bringing some water to my LFS. I'll let you know what they tell me. Thanks a million for your help.

If the fish has lost color, it is possible that it is a nutritional issue, or what maybe just as likely is that it is a Tank Raised clown and it was fed a color enhancing hormone food and since you do not have access to the same food...it is coming to a lesser color. From the pic, your clown looks good.

No behavior changes lately. I'll feed it more diverse foods and we'll see what happens. Thanks!

I am happy to report that I was at the LFS today and had my water checked and they basically got the same results as I did. Everything is fine except I have a tiny bit of Ammonia (not quite zero). I'll go easy on the food for the next few days and everything should be ok.

I'm thinking of adding another fish in the next few days. Any suggestions? A Yellow Tang?

Yelloe tangs like to have a bit more swimming room. The tank should be at least 4 feet long. Have you thought about a royal gramma?

Back
Top Bottom