Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Clownfish Question

Maybe this should go in the "Sick" forum, but I don't really think my fish is sick... I am just curious if his activity is normal.

I just bought a clownfish (to replace a chromis, for those who follow my biological rollercoaster of a tank... not adding to the load at the moment), and it's not moving around in the tank. It just stays in the same corner all the time and doesn't really move around. He isn't completely stationary, but in the last 12 hours or so he hasn't bothered to explore the tank. He isn't breathing fast or showing signs of disease or stress. He reacts to stimuli like normal, it seems.

Is this just normal activity for a clownfish? I've never noticed them being terribly mobile while in stores (even when they don't have an anemone). I'm concerned by the fact that he isn't moving around much, but he really looks fine.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is this just normal activity for a clownfish? I've never noticed them being terribly mobile while in stores (even when they don't have an anemone). I'm concerned by the fact that he isn't moving around much, but he really looks fine.
This would be considered normal behavior for any new fish or a fish that is beginning to suffer from parasitic infestation, hard to tell. This fish was placed in quarantine....right?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
steve-s

It can be very normal for clowns to do this. Even once acclimated to the tank and they are "settled", they will rarely stray far from the territory they end up claiming.

Keep tabs on it's general behavour and color to be sure. Has it been eating?

How are the numbers looking?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-29-2003, 12:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
This fish was placed in quarantine....right?
No, but for two very good reasons... first of all, I don't have a QT tank at the moment, and secondly there's only one other fish in the tank right now and he's coming out today. Not much there to infect for now. If there was something at risk, I would certainly do that.

Quote:
they will rarely stray far from the territory they end up claiming.
He's hanging out up at the front of the tank away from the live rock. Does this seem normal? I would figure he'd pick a spot with cover. Or, are clownfish just not the hiding type? At the store they're never in tanks with rocks, that I've seen, so I wouldn't know.

Quote:
Keep tabs on it's general behavour and color to be sure.
No problem there. I watch my tank like it's the best movie ever pretty much every day.

Quote:
Has it been eating?
I haven't fed him yet. I just got him last night, and per everyone's advice I make sure not to feed more than every other day so I can keep my nitrites down. I'll either feed him at lunch time today or when I get home tonight.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-29-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
No, but for two very good reasons... first of all, I don't have a QT tank at the moment, and secondly there's only one other fish in the tank right now and he's coming out today. Not much there to infect for now.
Well, this tank has yet to be fishless for the recommended 4-6 weeks necessary to erradicate the parasites that have plagued your tank from start up. There is the clown fish to infect, plus the other fish that is being removed. Unless you leave the tank fishless and begin to quarantine your new fish, you will always have a parasite problem.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

are u saying it is recommended to leave your fish tank fishless for 4 -6 weeks...sorry for repeating...but can u explain more????
Old 07-29-2003, 01:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He's read some of my other posts. I had ich in my tank, and it is recommended that when you have ich you remove the fish from your tank for 4-6 weeks to allow the ich to go one full life cycle without any hosts, and thus die off.

Old 07-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can setup a QT for under $30 --- a 10 gal, sponge filter, PVC pipe and an air pump...

I learned my lesson that its best to QT new fish... cause you always seem to have problems..
Old 07-29-2003, 02:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
No, but for two very good reasons... first of all, I don't have a QT tank at the moment.
I just wanted to reaffirm was has pretty much been said already. Not having a Q-tank is just not a good reason. They are so simple to setup as PF explained that it should be a no-brainer on everyone's list of startup items needed to get into this hobby.

Less than $30 to set one up i'm sure is less than what you have lost in livestock already, or in the future.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, all that aside... (hehe, you guys remind me of the birds in Finding Nemo, except instead of all saying "Mine" you're all saying "QT tank" at the same time, rofl)... I went home for lunch, and the clownfish is doing just fine. He's swimming around like normal, and he ate very well. I think he's gonna be alright, even if it is just luck on my part.

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com