Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clownfish Question - Fast swimming and twitching??

Hi Everyone,

So, I have a pair of OCC Clowns in a 12 gallon Fluval Edge. One is red (name is red), and one is yellow (name is Crackfish). I know they're crazy and amusing fish, but I am trying to understand the boundaries of their behavior.

So, The reason for the name of the yellow one is well, because he's a little cracked out. He swims around the tank as fast as he can then runs into the other fish and starts twitching. Is this normal behavior? I got these two at different times, and I believe they are still pairing. Red is doing well, and is a beautiful fish. Full of energy also, but not as, well, cracked out.

Of note, they are both doing well, eating like horses and swimming around a lot. I have a young tank (1 month), but my current params are:

SG 1.022
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 8.2

They are a trip!! Does this sound like normal clown behavior? Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol clowns are wierd.... You might wake up and see crackfish sleeping on its side, or stuck to the filter, its all normal...

I think you should get a bigger tank for your clowns as soon as possible though

Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks NUNU. In regards to the bigger tank - Is this due to the bioload or the well being of the fish? I don;t plan on adding anything else except maybe a cleaner shrimp. ( when I started SW a couple months ago I was thinking firefish also, but don't want to stretch it).

We are having a kid in the next couple days, but soon after there is a 28 gallon JBJ in my future.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on having a child! Lol and its for both reasons actually, clowns can really dirty up a tank and they need room to swim. A 29 would be perfecto
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks NuNu!! That sounds like great advice!!! I'll be sure to keep an eye on my levels in the mean time. I am currently measuring all values every other day.

The fish are def small... about 1.5 inches currently. I know the 5 gallon=1 inch rule, so I'll be careful. I should have the bigger tank before halloween.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packohotdogs
Hi Everyone,

So, I have a pair of OCC Clowns in a 12 gallon Fluval Edge. One is red (name is red), and one is yellow (name is Crackfish). I know they're crazy and amusing fish, but I am trying to understand the boundaries of their behavior.

So, The reason for the name of the yellow one is well, because he's a little cracked out. He swims around the tank as fast as he can then runs into the other fish and starts twitching. Is this normal behavior? I got these two at different times, and I believe they are still pairing. Red is doing well, and is a beautiful fish. Full of energy also, but not as, well, cracked out.

Of note, they are both doing well, eating like horses and swimming around a lot. I have a young tank (1 month), but my current params are:

SG 1.022
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 8.2

They are a trip!! Does this sound like normal clown behavior? Thanks in advance!!
Its likely you are witnessing pairing behavior from crackfish with the twitching. This is usually a sign of submission with this behavior. Im guessing by this that red probably the larger of the two?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

They're actually very close in size, and are both doing the twitching. Its just usually Red who is taking it easy hosting the heater or fake coral, and then Crackfish zooms over and starts twitching. Hopefully they'll eventually get along.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packohotdogs
They're actually very close in size, and are both doing the twitching. Its just usually Red who is taking it easy hosting the heater or fake coral, and then Crackfish zooms over and starts twitching. Hopefully they'll eventually get along.
Yeah just sound like they are working out whos dominant then. Should be fine, nothing to worry about unless you start seeing cuts, ripped fins, etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Yeah just sound like they are working out whos dominant then. Should be fine, nothing to worry about unless you start seeing cuts, ripped fins, etc.
Thanks Schism... Much appreciated!! They seem so go through spurts. Now they are sitting on a fake coral together. In a couple minutes they'll probably be at it again...

Just don't want anyone to get hurt.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry guys... one more quick question...

Can clowns of the same species be different colors??? I am starting to suspect that I may have two different breeds, but they won't hold still enough to count the spines.

Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	113765  

Tags
chi, clown, clownfish, question, swimming, twitching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com