Clownfish - Sand or Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good Morning Everyone,

Before I went to bed last night, I saw two small white specs on my red clown. They kind of look like grains of sand on the side of him. This morning they were still there. This guy is new to the tank as I got him Saturday. Is this the beginning of Ich? :(

Will it affect my other clown (who is two weeks old in my tank, and seems to be in perfect health)? I don't have a QT tank yet, so my options are limited... may try garlic if this is a concern...

Thanks in advance!!!
Jeff

I would suggest you get a qt tank and quickly. If it turns out to be ich you want to be able to move fast to treat it. Keep a close eye on that clown if more develope get him out of there right away. And yes it will effect any fish that is in the tank with him.

Oh dear...

I am stuck at work until 5pm. Do you think my other fish is already affected??

So this is why no one says SW tanks are easy... :(

hard to say if you just noticed it maybe not. But we're not sure its ich yet are they still there is there anymore.

Thanks Tone... Really appreciate it!

Not sure if its still there as I am at work until 5ish. Just talked to my buddy who works at the Baltimore Aquarium, and he said a 1-minute freshwater bath is an excellent preventative measure. I'll see how he is this evening before attempting such a feat.

Other than that, My tank is a true fish-only... haven't even added a cleaner shrimp yet, so treatment for the little guys should be straight forward if the nasty bug persists...

Packohotdogs said:
Thanks Tone... Really appreciate it!

Not sure if its still there as I am at work until 5ish. Just talked to my buddy who works at the Baltimore Aquarium, and he said a 1-minute freshwater bath is an excellent preventative measure. I'll see how he is this evening before attempting such a feat.

Other than that, My tank is a true fish-only... haven't even added a cleaner shrimp yet, so treatment for the little guys should be straight forward if the nasty bug persists...

Freshwater dip can rupture the cysts on the fish however usually ich still remains in the tank in the previous stage either free swimming or waiting to hatch. So freshwater dip at this point is not preventing much.

Also if you have live rock or a sand bed treating with copper or meds is a bad idea. Hypo-salinity treatment would be your best bet.

Let us know what it looks like when ya get home, might just be specks of sand after all, im sure everyone here has had one of those scares. Snap a pic if you can get one also.

Well got home and the little guy looks ok. The grains of whatever are gone. He was sitting in the cave with the other fish, and when I turned the light on, they rushed out. This kicked up a bunch of substrate, which I saw stick to him, and then fall off as he swam. Last night he was hanging out around the substrate, and also up by the heater all evening (while crackfish was bothering him).

They both ate like horses and are now back to harassing each other.

So, the bacteria are either now festering and growing in my live sand, or it was a false alarm.

I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens!! I'm sure I'll see if it returns.

Back
Top Bottom