Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clownfish stopped eating suddenly

Hello forum...scratching my head here. Suddenly my false percula stopped eating about 2 days ago. Formula One, Formula Two, live brine, doesn't matter, he's not having anything to do with food (not actually sure if male or female). I've had him for a couple of months, he was quarantined successfully, ate real good right up until 2 days ago.

Water conditions are good Ammo-0, 'Trite-0, 'Trates-10, pH 8.2, temp 80, SG 1.023. True percula and Angel are doing great, no change in behavior, no aggression toward the false perc (that I'm noticing, anyway). No outward physical signs of disease or stress, he just hovers up against a rock, doesn't really come out to socialize. He's swimming slower every day, afraid I'm going to lose him. The true perc is staying beside him to keep him company. No meds in tank, but this morning I did add a tablespoon of Vita-Chem (vitamins) to the tank to try and stimulate his appetite.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The true perc will be lost until I can get another clown, because the Angel thinks he's too good.

TIA, Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
2 days is nothing to stress over too much. I would watch close. Wouldn't surprise me if someone is picking on him. Is he tank raised or wild caught?

Old 11-27-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

QuarryShark to the rescue! Three days now, nothing. I honestly don't know for certain, but I believe he was tank-raised. And today I was watching, I think the Angel might be intimidating him. I haven't seen any direct attacks, but saw what might have been a quick squabble around feeding time. But he's the larger of the two clowns, the smaller (true) clown isn't shying away at all, but of course, he was the first fish in the tank.

Indian Yellowtail Angels are considered bolsterous, but for well over a month, the three of them were eating very well side by side with no problems, no squabbling. I'm not real sure what my next move should be, because my QT already contains the next 2 fish waiting their turn to move to the main. I shouldn't mix a "safe" fish with those that are still going through QT. And if I can avoid it, I don't want to separate the two clowns, as they've bonded...the little one would be lost without his friend.

Maybe I should set up tank #9, move the two clowns over to keep them together and give them a couple of anemone to live in. Then get a maroon clown for the main tank that's big and mean enough to stand his ground with the angel? (Either that or I'm just looking for an excuse to set up another tank! LOL)

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW4-30g, currently empty
Old 11-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh yeah, I've even tried feeding them in separate parts of the tank, but the Angel can cover a lot of distance quickly.

--Aquabear

FW4-30g, currently empty
Old 11-27-2004, 11:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If the Angel turns out to be the trouble maker, You could remove her to the #9 tank for a "time out". After a few days (week) out, you could put her back it and things may be different. Also would give the clown a few days to relax, settle in and maybe start eating.
May work.
Try some different food too. Find something you clown can't resist. 8)
You can also try to lace the food with garlic juice. This has been known to spur a feeding response.
Good luck!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey there....well, the #9 tank hasn't even been bought yet. So that's not an option. And catching the angel wouldn't be easy...he's still small enough he can dart between the LR. I *thought* I saw the Clown take a nibble tonight, but it would have barely been a scrap. I also stopped at the LFS and picked up some Formula Two that has garlic in it, so maybe I'll try some of that as well. I'm also still trying to keep the angel occupied elsewhere during feeding time. <sigh>

I guess this is just one of the drawbacks to keeping fish...you're dealing with another one right now. As always, thanks for the advice.

--Aquabear

FW4-30g, currently empty

Tags
clown, clownfish, eat, eating, stopped eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com