Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clownfish Swim Bladder Disease

Hi everyone,

I have some unfortunate news today...

It appears that one of my Clownfish may have swim-bladder disease? He keeps staying upside down, stomach up. I did some research and it appears that it may be swim bladder disease. I have two questions:

1. Does this sound like swim bladder disease to you?
2. What are the best treatment options? (I saw something online about peas? Or is that untrue?)

Thanks!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried peas with my parrot fish (freshwater) but had no luck sorry can't be much help

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodeniro View Post
I tried peas with my parrot fish (freshwater) but had no luck sorry can't be much help

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Thank you!

I forgot to mention, it looks as if there may be some "eye enlargement" too, but it is difficult to tell completely due to the black/white color of the fish.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh Red, I hope he doesnt have that. I had a cichlid and I used peas, that was blue #2 if you remember? He lived I think over a year maybe two but couldnt swim worth anything, his butt kept going out of control.

I gotta be honest, I have never heard of swim bladder issues with saltwater so I have no idea what to do. I am so sorry I dont have any great information.

Are you sure he is ill? My clowns sleep upside down, one usually butt down and one head down. Does he have trouble swimming? Like when you feed?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Oh Red, I hope he doesnt have that. I had a cichlid and I used peas, that was blue #2 if you remember? He lived I think over a year maybe two but couldnt swim worth anything, his butt kept going out of control.

I gotta be honest, I have never heard of swim bladder issues with saltwater so I have no idea what to do. I am so sorry I dont have any great information.

Are you sure he is ill? My clowns sleep upside down, one usually butt down and one head down. Does he have trouble swimming? Like when you feed?
Oh yes, I remember Blue!

I think something is up, as he seems to be upside down/at a great tilt basically all the time. I will try to post a picture soon!

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not great photos, but you can see his upside down behavior. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420336498.669156.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	259884Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420336511.317432.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	259885Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420336521.168962.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	259886
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How's the clown Red? Any better? Fingers crossed he is doing better!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
How's the clown Red? Any better? Fingers crossed he is doing better!!!
Hey Carey! This is soooooooooo awesome!

Last night I put him in a breeder net because he was upside down and the Black Ice was picking on him ( ), so I put him in one of those breeder nets that sit inside the tank so the other clown couldn't get to him. Today, he isn't upside down! Maybe this breeder net has magical powers? LOL. His fins look a little beat up, which I am guessing is from the other clown...not sure though. I am wondering when I should remove him from the breeder net. He is doing much better, but I am thinking at least a few more days? Or is that a super bad idea?

I am so happy to report the good news! I thought for sure he wasn't going to make it.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I love when I hear good news! I would let him roam free soon, you dont want to stress him out. keep a close eye on those guys, the other clown could be making life tough on this guy. It could also be them going through their fighting phase to get to their "mated" phase. I've seen some pretty brutal behavior from clowns. It can seem horrible and you are sure one is going to kill the other and then a few minutes later they are swimming side by side like nothing happened. Just have to use your best judgement when enough is truly enough.

Tags
clown, clownfish, disease, fish, sea, swim bladder, swim bladder disease

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com