Clownfish with stringy poo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my b&w clown fish have stringy poo, I've read that this can but stress or internal parasites so I'm a bit worried.

I've had them about 2 months now. They were in my qt for a month. The stringy poo started for the first few days in qt but went away very quickly. They have now been in my display tank for a few weeks and it seems to be there every day. Any advice on this one?

Only there stock is a Foxface at the moment. Water is super clean and levels are all well in check.

I didn't know stringy poop meant parasites. Just keep an eye on them. I think my clowns poop stringy too? So idk it might just be normal.

Yeah I'm not sure. It's kinda brown/white. It's not see through... Which most say is a good indication that it's parasites. So I'm really unsure what it is. I'll try get a pic later and upload it. Anyone else got any ideas?

Well I mean what does clownfish poop normally look like? My clown poops like yellowish or brownish poop that's swirly.

Yeah both of us sound like its a fairly normal color I'd think, but I could be wrong? I'm sure someone will chime in at some point.

Usually if it whbite and stringy then it is internal parasites. There is a food that supposedly treats this even though I have no experience with this. If you do a search on the site you`ll find there is a chemical you cant QT the fish and treat.

Hmmmm... A food you say. I was thinking I'd have the qt out and be treating for weeks. I'll look into it this. Thank you!!!

You can get levamisole flakes off of aquabid or angelsplus. Levamisole is supposed to be the most effective drug against camallanus worms specifically, although i'm sure it works just as well against other parasitic worms as well. It paralyzes the worms and is a laxative which makes the fish expel them, then you vacuum them up. Fenbendazole works also, but apparently not as well. This is all from experience in my FW tank, so i'm not 100% sure this applies to SW as well.

Back
Top Bottom