Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
clowns fish dies

The smaller of the 2 false clowns died this evening. I bought them in January and one grew alot larger than the other. The larger one was the most aggressive. It would go after the food alot more and the smaller seemed almost afraid of the larger one. I noticed the smaller one also had some torn fins for the past 2 weeks. It was odd tonight (and sad) to watch both of them. The one that died was mostly laying on the sand (before it died) and the larger one would act really protective, kind of snuggleing up against him and then for no reason would hit at it and then would bite into it and carry it around the tank. It broke my heart to see this. The smaller one finally went behind some rock and this is where I found her dead. I just hope I don't have a mean clown fish. They were the only 2 fish I had but I do want to add a couple more fish in the future.

stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thats really sad. I can totally see it happening too. Mine is really agressive. Used to be worse, used to jump out of the tank at me until he landed on one of the glass tops. He carries rocks in his mouth and places them where he sees fit, as well as small corals . Mine bully's everybody, though the Naso seems to put him in his place. Pairing him(her) did not work, had to give the fish back to the pet store or I am sure it would have suffered the same fate.

Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry to hear about your loss. It really is sad. We lost our female clown (the larger of the two is always the Fem). Unfortunately our hermits found her before I did... ewwwww. We could get our widows together and maybe end up with a pair! Make sure if you replace him that you get a smaller one to ensure that it is still juvi/male. Once female they won't change back to male. You have the best shot of getting a male if you get a tiny one.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Agreed. My larger clown chased the daylights out of the smaller clown. I thought it was gonna kill it. But, once the male 'gave in' to her I guess, they died down a bit and were inseperable (besides an occasional bout of chasing around the tank). Then, my larger (female) had to go leap out of the tank one night....

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

clown, clowns, die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com