Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clowns with ich?

I am a bit confused right now. I was just feeding my tank (29 gal, 2 clowns are the only fish) and I noticed white spots on the clowns. I have not seen marine ich before, but it certainly looks similar to FW ich. The reason I am confused though is that they have been in the tank for going on a year and a half and I am now seeing this problem. The most recent addition was a leather coral about two months ago I believe. Is it possible that the ich came into the tank then? Could it have been there for quite some time now just under the radar and the fish have finally succumbed? Or is it possibly something else wrong with them?
Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-02-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it looks like salt granules sprinkled on your fish, that mysteriously appear and disappear... it's ick. Sorry.

It could've been there all along, but I'd put money on it coming in with the leather. While corals can't sustain ich, it could've come in with some of the water when you transferred the leather.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I cant stress this enough, DO NOT put water from the LFS in your tank. There are a few things that cant be exposed to air, and I have my methods for that. But anything else can be in air for the literally 1 second you use to take out if out the container and into your tank after acclimation.

Was the leather in a coral/invert only system? Or is it all plumbed together with the fish?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was under the impression that corals needed to be transferred while never exposed to air--correction noted. The coral display tanks are plumbed with some of the fish (the main fish displays are treated with copper and are plumbed separately). Well, that being the case it sounds like QT the fish for 6-8 weeks to eliminate ich from the main. As for treating the fish, Fluff's article indicates hypo is the way to go. I also read Fenner's book last night and he seems to indicate copper. Is the latter just outdated? Should I use them in tandem?
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you have ich I agree... I would not dose copper especially if you dont have a QT to do it in as you wont be able to keep inverts now or later. Ich treatment should always be done in QT . So yes you could do the hypo , keep your water clean and pristine , you could feed garlic to help stimulate their feeding response and a bit of selcon this will boost their immunity and allow them to fight it off easier . Treatment should last for about 8 weeks this kills all stages of tomites to the adult and also allows the tank to go fallow for that period and starve off ... Copper needs GREAT care and testing while dosing it so that it does not go to toxic levels .
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
There are a few things that cant be exposed to air, and I have my methods for that.

You should share. Always been interested in how one does that.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Some sponges shouldn't be exposed to air, linckia stars either. I have read folks will place them in a small container from the drip acclimation and add them to their tanks. Of course, you will still be getting a little of the LFS water in there, but the concept is to get as little as possible....
Cplawrence, I would do hyposalinity in the QT. Do you have a Refractometer , this will help when doing hypo...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do not have a refractometer. Is it reasonable to try a hypo treatment with a swing arm hydrometer?
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Is it reasonable to try a hypo treatment with a swing arm hydrometer?
Not even close. It won't work.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will take some pics of my acrylic water bridge I use if I get some time today.

Tags
clown, clowns, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com