colt coral frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferman

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all,

i just purchased a colt coral frag (looks like a frogspawn) and it has started to split the tips of its tentacles in several areas. Is this something i should be concerned about or is it just growing. I have had it for two days and also purchased a galaxea frag. I dont know if i should move them up as they are in the substrate right now.

TIA

P-MAN

Colt is a soft coral, frog is a lps. Not sure what you mean. If it's a soft coral and is branching, that is very normal. I have no experience with galaxea so I'll let someone else handle that but a colt only requires medium light.

Yep, it is a torch and I was gonna suggest that but.. It looks great. I don't know much about them but I think it would be happy about mid way up. I believe they are more light loving than some other lps's, and moderate flow. Also given plenty of room to expand.

They both look like a torch to me... I have a very large galaxea and yours IMO may not be one. The galexea needs high light, so not knowing what you have for lights its hard to tell you where to put it. They also need room around them because the have long sweeper tenticles that come out at night. what does the base of the galax look like? They are an excrusting type coral and will cover a piece of LR or coral.. Take a pic at night when it cleose up and that will help ID. They have small heads about the size of a eraser head and out of that comes the polyps and maybe a sweaper tenticle. the polpys are short also not as long as whats in the pic..

I have my torch at the bottom of the tank, almost shaded from the 250w MH light 2' above the coral. I have it in the sand. Mine is a branching variety and LOVES flow. It is constantly being blown about and the tentacles on it are probably 5" long. Those do both look like torches to me as well.

Deffo two torches. I have a euphyillia that does the tentacle splitting thing, although I have yet to see the torch do it. The euphyillia splits almost making it look like a frogspawn sometimes.

you have plenty of light ... Are you sure its a galaxea? Another pic would be helpful.. One when its closed would even be better for the ID.
My galax is about 5" below the surface to get maximum lighting...

ill try to get a pic of it when its closed. it kind of looks like cauliflower when its closed. Like buds of folded-in tentacles. Looks nothing like the one next to it. The buds also are multiple, not just one that contains all of the tentacles/polyps. At night a few tentacles grow to 2-3 inches instead of the 0.5 inch tentacles in the day.

THANKS

P-MAN

If its a galax that is a real nice dark colored one with long polyps... All the ones I have seen are a light bright green with light tips with shorter thinner polyps..
the galax is a encrusting type coral and it will not have single heads like a torch. They will all be touching and grow in lets say a sheet but the will have single heads on the sheet where the polyps come from.
Ill have to post a pic of mine all closed up..

If you mess with the coral it will close up tight so you can get a good pic.

Back
Top Bottom