colt coral what went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashobson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a nice small colt about 2 inches in size had been in the tank for 2 months was growing real well. Then one day this week I came home from work and it was only about 3/4 of an inch and it looked like it was disinagrating the next nite it was gone. I had added a couple other corals the week before don't ask me what there names are i don't remember but have seen them on here as beginners coral. I also bought a sand star that my kids liked could have one of these things caused my problem/ I hope someone can help this was my favorite coral and I would like to replace it and try again thank you

What are the water test results? Lighting conditions? Tank Specs? Usually disintegration is the result of either a disease, water conditions that are bad, not enough light, etc...

I have had cladiella colts melt like that, but only after fragging them. I have since started dipping them in Kent Tech-D after fragging which seems to help. An iodine dip will sometimes cure a sick one, but you have to be quick as you have seen already. In the absence of physical injury though, I agree with Timbos initial analysis.

Thanks

Maybe my nits shot up after adding the star everything else in there still looks good this was a frag I bought at a pet shop they cut it off a big peace and ruber baned it to a rock it had attached and had grown some before it did this. I will wait a few more weeks then buy 1 more and try again thanks. Metal halgon lighting

How did you acclimate the colt? Was is under MH lighting at the store? If not, you need to acclimate it to the lighting as well as the water conditions. Light shock can kill corals as fast as water conditions. My guess is the change in environment stressed it enough that it couldn't fight off infection. If it came from under VHO or PC lighting, you'll need to start it off in a shaded area in your tank. Give it some time to get used to the new water (after careful initial acclimation) and slowly move it into brighter light. You may find that it's happier in the lower areas of the tank where the light isn't so bright.

Back
Top Bottom