Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Colt turning white!

A couple of days ago, i noticed a white spot on my colt coral, kinda like its bleached out. Today, there was some more. All my water parameters are fine, and the rest of my corals are growing fast. I also noticed a little white worm looking thing on it. Can someone please help.

48" Aqualight Pro
Gen X Mak4 Closed Loop
LPS, SPS, whatever else.....
------------------------
40g Tru-Vu
40 lbs Tonga
40 lbs Sand
T-5 Retro-2x39
SEIO 620
Frags, Fish, Mantis, Whatever
Crawling68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Colt turning white!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawling68
I also noticed a little white worm looking thing on it..
Should try to get a pic of the "critter" if possible and post it. It will help to determine if it's part of the problem or just in the wrong place at the right time.

The areas look like they could be recovering from a bacterial infection or possibley they've been munched on. The visual similarity of the two problems is pretty much identical. It doesn't look like bleaching.

Are there any nearby corals, newly added animals or recent changes in the tank? I see you've indicated the tank specs are in order but can you post the actual numbers?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

We just got home and saw the critter again. Its about 1" Long, white, with legs. Its strong too, i tried to suck it off the coral with a baster, but it just held on and went under it. There are no corals around it as i heard they grow fast so i put it by itself in the corner. The corals have only been in the tank about three weeks. I have snails and crabs and stuff, but no one goes near it. Every once and while, it spews this web like substance as well. Oh yea, specs:
Temp: 82
SG:1.024
Ph: 8.4
No ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites
Im not sure about Calcium or Alkalinity as i do not have the tests yet. I know your not supposed to dose with out the tests, but i was told to dose once a week with B-ionic. I am getting the tests this weekend so i can adjust accordingly.
48" Aqualight Pro
Gen X Mak4 Closed Loop
------------------------
40g Tru-Vu
40 lbs Tonga
40 lbs Sand
T-5 Retro-2x39
SEIO 620
Old 08-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
steve-s

Without a pic I can only guess what your critter would be. As I said, just because it's in the same area does not mean it's guilty by default but I wouldn't dismiss it either. Keep watching it and look for signs of brown masses or spots in the area's of the coral that are discolored. If you determine the "critter" is the cause, definately remove it but I wouldn't do it unless your sure. Colt corals as a rule are quite hardy and it should withstand an fair amount of punishment.

Quote:
Every once and while, it spews this web like substance as well.
A pic would help this immensely.

As far as your chem is concerned, alk/Ca on the whole will have very little to do with soft coral health unless the alk numbers are seriously out of wack. If your doing somewhat regular water changes, you should be okay. Once a week dosing depending on how much really shouldn't cause too many problems unless you have nothing depositing CaCO3. Once you get your test kits though, I would post some results to see what there.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
that web like thing is not any thing to worry about. my finger leater did the same thing and he has been doing great for about 8 month now. he dose it about every night or so and at first i thought it was a bug or some thing and i still do but he is growuing like a weed and has no spots on him.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOrks15
that web like thing is not any thing to worry about.
Personally, until something has been identified properly, it should not be discounted as nothing.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-24-2004, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wish i could take better pics, but ive resorted to using my video camera as my roommate moved out and took the digital camera with him.
48" Aqualight Pro
Gen X Mak4 Closed Loop
------------------------
40g Tru-Vu
40 lbs Tonga
40 lbs Sand
T-5 Retro-2x39
SEIO 620
Old 08-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, this is the best i can do.
48" Aqualight Pro
Gen X Mak4 Closed Loop
------------------------
40g Tru-Vu
40 lbs Tonga
40 lbs Sand
T-5 Retro-2x39
SEIO 620
Old 08-24-2004, 11:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Personally, until something has been identified properly, it should not be discounted as nothing.

Cheers
Steve
well when i did get my leather i did post some thing ont his board and i know some one told me what it was or told me not to worry about it. i think it might have been reefrunner or some one that knows what they are talking about. it was a long time ago and i cant remeber the person who said it. but i might take a look around the site for the posts.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

That looks like a hydroid to me but I may be way off. Waiting to see what steve-s says.

Kaye

Tags
colt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com