Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I found this on Reef Central posted by Snorvich

What this means for Cryptocaryon irritans is that leaving a tank fallow for 3 weeks will give you a 68% chance that you have eradicated the parasite, leaving a tank fallow for 6 weeks will give you a 95% chance of eradication, but if you want 99.7% chance, you will leave the tank fallow for 9 weeks. That is the reason you see different numbers being used on Reef Central and in the literature.

Any inverts or coral can stay in the tank. It's just the fish that have to be removed from the tank. So if you are a gambling man 3 weeks could work for you. Personally, I went with a 6 week fallow period and am crossing my fingers right now hoping its done and over with.
Hi Mebbid I understand I need to leave my tank for at least 6 weeks, il probably do 8 to be extra careful but what Im not too sure about is whether I can add to my cuc during those 6-8 weeks and if I do should I QT the crabs and snails etc for a couple of weeks first?

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh, I gotcha. It depends on personal feelings about QTing inverts. Some people QT EVERYTHING while others just QT the fish.

I am personally starting to adopt the idea to QT everything but that being said there are very few instances where something can travel in on your inverts.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I am too as I lost a bunch of fish a few months ago and want to make sure I have a healthy aquarium going forward.

I've just been reading they some people QT inverts including crabs and snails for 8 weeks to make sure they don't introduce ich. I might start looking for a supplier that QT's their livestock and knows everything is ich free.

I've also been reading that some people QT all new fish for 2 or 3 months. This is why people say take marine nice and slow lol

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
Old 07-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Update.

One of the reasons for the fallow idea and hypo on the new fish was so that I could keep my favourite fish of all, the Powder Blue Tang.

Here he is just before I start the hypo. I matched the salinity to what the supplier kept their fish at so when it arrived it wouldn't have stress from any salinity change. I also tested the salinity of the water he was in before putting him into the QT.

So now they're all in its time to lower the salinity. I'm currently down to 1.016 and tomorrow il move it down a further 3 notches and so on daily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1114124545.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	187312  

Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
Yeah I am too as I lost a bunch of fish a few months ago and want to make sure I have a healthy aquarium going forward.

I've just been reading they some people QT inverts including crabs and snails for 8 weeks to make sure they don't introduce ich. I might start looking for a supplier that QT's their livestock and knows everything is ich free.

I've also been reading that some people QT all new fish for 2 or 3 months. This is why people say take marine nice and slow lol
With fish 30 days should be sufficient to tell if there is ich or not. It will spread enough to be noticeable.

For inverts tho.. I am just not sure.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Melosu I've seen these a few times already but it doesn't cover a couple of things.

I've just added a couple of pieces of live rock to try and help with filtration. I'm dreading my water bill as we're on metered water!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have not dealt much with inverts, but since they do not host stuff like Ich, I would think that not QTing would be okay. There is that chance that there are parasites in the water that is on them or in shells, so there is a possibility of them carrying something in. It just seems like a very remote chance to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I have not dealt much with inverts, but since they do not host stuff like Ich, I would think that not QTing would be okay. There is that chance that there are parasites in the water that is on them or in shells, so there is a possibility of them carrying something in. It just seems like a very remote chance to me.
yeah, but even a remote chance can end very badly.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

yeah, but even a remote chance can end very badly.
True. I guess if you QT inverts, you do so in a tank with no fish? If there are fish, there are hosts. If the inverts are coming from an LFS from a tank with no fish, I would think the odds of them carrying anything is slim. QT could not hurt and eliminates those slim chances, I guess.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com