Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Completely rid my tank of ich!

As it says in the heading I was to completely rid my tank of ich. I plan on QT'ing and hypo and in the long term QT'ing everything before it goes in the display.

I'd like to see people options on which of the following methods would be more effective and also quicker.

Method 1:

Remove all fish and place them in a 180 litre QT. the QT is set up right next to my saltwater mixing station so water changes will be a walk in the park. No excuses. I will lower the salinity to 1.009 for 2 weeks and leave the display tank fish less for 8 weeks. Seems simple enough.

Method 2:

Remove all coral and inverts leaving the tank as a FOWLR and lowering the salinity in the main tank to 1.009. Place the coral and others in the QT or even sell them as I don't have much coral and inverts anyway. This seems easier as I won't have to catch all the fish. However will this affect my live rock? Will it still act as filtration during hypo and will it kill the ich in the 2 week hypo course? The difficult bit to this method is water changes as its 400 litres total and I would have to lump around a lot of water to make decent water changes if the the live rock stops performing. Also I don't want to kill my live rock and have to cure it again. Especially with fish in the tank.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There is a lot of fauna on the live rock aside from the BB. I would assume there would be quite a bit of die off and resulting ammonia production from lowering the salinity in the DT.

It's a bit more lengthy but leaving your DT fallow will for sure solve any ich issues and you wont have to worry about die off.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so assuming I QT all my fish and allow the DT to go fallow how would hypo affect an external filter? I have a really good eheim external which is cycled and I plan on running it on the QT. if lowering the salinity will kill the BB I can easily perform daily/2 days water changes for 2 weeks.

Just to touch on hypo how long is best to kill the parasite as I keep going on about 2 weeks but want to make sure this is the right length of time. I've heard some people say stop when there are no visible signs of white spot?

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
Old 07-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I did my hypo for ich for 4 weeks. That seems to be more than long enough to account for any stray ich that might be found in the gills that can't he seen. BB shouldn't die because of hyposalinity either, bacteria isn't nearly that fragile.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So keep the filter running?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can keep the filter going.

You want your DT fallow for 8 weeks. That should take care of whatever is in there. In QT, treat until the spots are gone. I think four weeks is good most of the time. With time spend slowly lowering the salinity and bringing it back up slowly, you are usually looking at about eight weeks for that as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Belated reply but I've decided to go with Todds idea and go for the 8 week fish less tank!

I took advantage of stripping down my tank to catch all the fish and came up with a new aqua scape. This took hours!

I'm a week and a half into the process and have a 180 litre Juwel set up in my garage next to the water mixing station to make things easier for daily water changes. I've been keeping on top of my changes however there is always slight sign of ammonia which I'm trying to rid. I have no filtration set up as I decided to do this immediately. Il post a couple of pics of the QT set up tomorrow.

One question tho...

If I'm doing hypo in my QT then I can't QT inverts. Should I just put them straight into the DT or is this not a good idea until the 8 weeks is up? I may be able to set up another small QT for hermits and snails but how long should I QT them before putting them in my QT?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1898391043.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	186673   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2027312534.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	186674  

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The inverts do not host things like Ich, so if they are in QT, they can go back in the DT. My only concern would be that there could be an Ich parasite in the water in their shell or something like that. They could have just stayed in the DT through the fallow process.

Glad to hear its going good though! Keep us posted...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
The inverts do not host things like Ich, so if they are in QT, they can go back in the DT. My only concern would be that there could be an Ich parasite in the water in their shell or something like that. They could have just stayed in the DT through the fallow process.

Glad to hear its going good though! Keep us posted...
Thanks Todd yes things are going well so far. Water changes are a bit of a hassle on the QT though but I'm keeping on top of them.

The critters carrying ich is exactly what I'm worried about. Like I said I should be able to access a small tank to QT them before putting them in my DT. Question is how long and should I wait until fallow?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I found this on Reef Central posted by Snorvich

What this means for Cryptocaryon irritans is that leaving a tank fallow for 3 weeks will give you a 68% chance that you have eradicated the parasite, leaving a tank fallow for 6 weeks will give you a 95% chance of eradication, but if you want 99.7% chance, you will leave the tank fallow for 9 weeks. That is the reason you see different numbers being used on Reef Central and in the literature.

Any inverts or coral can stay in the tank. It's just the fish that have to be removed from the tank. So if you are a gambling man 3 weeks could work for you. Personally, I went with a 6 week fallow period and am crossing my fingers right now hoping its done and over with.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com