Confused!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
For some reason, my inverts keep dying. All water paramiters are 0. PH is steady at 8.3. So far, I have lost a fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp and last night my huge hermit crab.
Is it possible they were just old? All of them were pretty big when I bought them from my LFS. The thing that really puzzles me is my urchins are growing like crazy! The pencil lost some spines, but I think that might have been him growing. I never saw a missing spine, just smaller new spine replacing the old ones.

Has anyone had this happen? If so, what should I do?

Thanks!

That's weird. Hermit crabs are EXTREMELY hardy IME. I threw my big, aggressive hermit into my old 20G (no filtration, no heater, no nothing) and it's been living in there for 4 months. Maybe something in ur tank is killing ur inverts?

Maybe something in ur tank is killing ur inverts?

It's possible, but why only the inverts and not fish? The hermit was about as big as a silver dollar. His shell was on a piece of dead coral and it looks like he just fell out. His body wasn't eaten, yet.

Has the tank ever been dosed with copper? The reason I ask is because copper is absorbed in the seals of the tank and will later leak into your tank. Have you tested your water source?

Has the tank ever been dosed with copper?

No, it my main tank.

Have you tested your water source?

Heee, I test all kinds of water, now that I have the test kit! LOL!
To answer your question, I have well water and have tested. It's all good. The confusing thing is, my urchins are doing great, and of all my livestock, I believe they are the most fragile....

It's possible, but why only the inverts and not fish?

Fish like hawk fish will prey on inverts and not necessarily fish. Yes, they will harass them but not really prey on them. From your "myinfo" it looks like you just have damsels and a blenny. Maybe you have a killer damsel on your hands! :) Just a thought!

What is your acclimation proceedure? How long do they last in your tank before dying?

I acclimated them for 1.5+ hours. I think the fireshrimp (I was still REALLY new) I only did for an hour. He lived about 2 months (one night he was on his side, I uprighted him and he moved along, the next morning there was only half of him left). The cleaner, I acclimated for close to two hours, he lasted about a month and a half (he was eating and acting normal the night before, and had molted three days before he died).

Maybe you have a killer damsel on your hands!
They are nasty little buggers! Especially the Blue Devil.

Well, I saw the body and now the shell is up and moving around. Maybe it was a really difficult molt...if so, the molt looked just like him, it wasn't transparent at all!

I think some other hermit took the shell...

Possibly but he is about 5 times bigger than any of the others. I'm not sure they could even move the shell.

The small ones are only about 1/4 inch and he is about 1 inch. Oh well, I guess I'll never know...LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom