connecting tanks good or bad idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conecting these tanks good or bad idea?

• good

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • bad

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • does not really matter.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 reef tank and a 30 gal fish only being cycled possibly just going to be 2 false percs and maybe just maybe a flame angel later down road it will also have lots of macro alage in tank with fish.i have the tanks pretty close together would it be a bad idea to connect them using sump tank of 55.

If you vote please tell me wat you voted i wanted it to be visable but i forgot. i figure the 30 will act as a sort of fuge as it will not have many fish.

I dont see where the problem would be accept if you had a sour situation in one, both would go south. But it would make it easier to keep good parameters.

You will need to do alot more water changes than usual as reef's need around 15 or lower nitrate while fish can tolerate up to 40ppm. Also if the FO tank needs medication, it might not be reef safe.

i already do way to big of water change for my 55 about 14 to 16 gallons a week so i am good with that. as long as i stay at that amount it will still be enough of a change.

I don't see a problem with that. Matter of fact it might be better. Because you get the beneficial bacteria from the other tank into the new tank.

not neccesarily, My 120, I do a 20% once a month and my trates stay below 5ppm.
How do you do that?

I don't see it being a bad idea at all with the exception of something happening in one tank will affect the other, but then again treating one will treat both.

I really don't know. I test every other day and my readings are fabulous, I put in the new live rock and i spiked to 15ppm, but went back down to 5 the next day. Im not a scientist just a hobbyist

i technically dont require waterchanges i guess... my nitrates stay at 0ppm.. tested with strips, and two different liquid test kits lol. the tank is comin up on 8 months old

Points of failure.... more equals more likely. It's great for water volume and keeping parameters the same, but be sure you plumb it well and have contingencies built into your plan.

got the pipe and pump for this project today :) cant wait to set it up cant right now girl friend wont let me its my birthday she wants me to socialize lol :) o well women!!!! they dont understand the fishy life!!!!

Back
Top Bottom