Copper Banded Butterfly In QT, Treating Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

Well, I have 6 fish in my QT tank, 3 chromis's, 1 Watchman Goby, 1 Algae Blenny, and the Copper Banded Butterfly.

The Copper Banded Butterfly Got Ich (Of Course, As if it's possible to get one that DOESN'T get Ich)

So I need to treat ASAP, hopefully get it taken care of before it gets worse, Right now he just has about 5 small spots on him, and none on any of the other fish.

I have tried copper in the past, and it cured the Ich, but the fish died later, So all is pointless at that point.

This time I figured I'd try Hyposalinity. I don't have a UV light, but that's isn't required is it?

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know...

Just to confirm, For Hyposalinity, I need to bring the tank down to 1.010-1.013 SG, and the tempature up to 83 degrees??

Thanks for the help.

-TheChad

Copper Banded Butterfly In QT, Treating Ich

Actually, you want it at 1.009 (slowly), for 4-6 weeks after the last cyst is seen. I would also keep the temp stable and the same they are used to.

+++EDIT+++
I think a UV might help to kill some onf the cysts, but is not needed.

A UV would be good for your main tank but is not necessary. I use one but they only kill parasites that are drawn up into the lighted chamber. I also agree SLOWLY to 1.009 and then when you are ready to return go SLOWLY to normal. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom