Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

copper level

My new tang has ich, didn't notice it in the pet shop, but a few days later in QT, sure enough he had spots on his fins. So I am dosing cupramine as it says on the directions and it is not registering on the test (seachem test). So I did a reference test and it shows up. Do I add more copper or what? I know the copper is in there because after the first dose (48 hours later) she lost the spots. Also I can see it in the water. Afraid to overdose.

TIA

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Take a little tank water in a container, add more copper to the container and test it. Much safer way.
Did you add the 2nd dose? Or is this just the first?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I only dosed half of the 2nd dose and tested, I do this to make sure I don't overdose than add the remaining value. Good idea, thanks QS!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 02-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It dosen't turn blue, it turns yellow

Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yikes! Can you get another test kit Mary?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, I put in the other half dose and it now shows the same as the reference. It turned yellow when I added the copper in the cup. I guess I needed to put the whole dose in, but it wasn't registering at all putting in 3/4 of a dose. It is now at .5. That is where I want it right? Also QS, since you have expeirence with this med, can you tell me about how much I should add after doing a 25% w/c. I want to do one tommorrow as the ammonia is .25 and rising . QT is such a joy ha ha.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One more question Kurt, I used a power head when I first added the fish and took it out hours later b/c it seemed to bother the fish. Now I mixed up 35 gallons of saltwater with the same powerhead. It is extremely cold in the garage. Do I have to wait 6 weeks before using this water or do you think it will be ok?

Old 02-16-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
can you tell me about how much I should add after doing a 25% w/c
I dose the change water and test it. Gives you room for mistakes.
Quote:
Do I have to wait 6 weeks before using this water or do you think it will be ok?
I think it is fine, just warm it up to room temp.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I mean was that the ph was in with the sick fish. Is this ok? Thanks, and that is a great idea about the copper. Kudos to you!

Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What I mean was that the ph was in with the sick fish. Is this ok
I don'y you need it if you have a trickle filter. JMO

Tags
level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com