Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Copper or hyposalinity?

Hello, i think i am ready to encounter my first battle with ich. I have a 10 gallon QT that I am going to set up tonight. I have a 30 gallon tank with approximately 45-50 lbs of LR. The occupants of my tank consist of a klein's butterfly, a small juvenile vlamingi tang, & 2 percula clowns. The inverts I have consist of a cleaner shrimp, a feather duster, and a small anemone.

I understand that copper & hyposalinity are the only 2 ways to successfully treat, but not quite sure which one would be better for me. Would it be possible to move the inverts to the other tank & treat my main tank without harming the LR, whether it be copper or hypo? My thought was that it would be easier to move the inverts than the fish & i don't have any corals. I've got a lot of great info the past few days & just doing a final round of checks before I go ahead & get started.

brs5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The LR will absorb the copper and become useless. You have a lot of fish for a 10g QT tank. You probably need another 30 for safety or a 20 at a minimum. Put several pieces of pvc parts in there to give the fish some hiding spaces. You might want to cover 3 sides of the QT tank too.

Hypo would be the way to treat, IMO. I did it for my 125 last year. You need to keep an eye on the pH and be sure to use a refractometer for SG. Also keep plenty of s/w mixed and ready for a daily PWC of 10% - 20%.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com