Copper or hyposalinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brs5609

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i think i am ready to encounter my first battle with ich. I have a 10 gallon QT that I am going to set up tonight. I have a 30 gallon tank with approximately 45-50 lbs of LR. The occupants of my tank consist of a klein's butterfly, a small juvenile vlamingi tang, & 2 percula clowns. The inverts I have consist of a cleaner shrimp, a feather duster, and a small anemone.

I understand that copper & hyposalinity are the only 2 ways to successfully treat, but not quite sure which one would be better for me. Would it be possible to move the inverts to the other tank & treat my main tank without harming the LR, whether it be copper or hypo? My thought was that it would be easier to move the inverts than the fish & i don't have any corals. I've got a lot of great info the past few days & just doing a final round of checks before I go ahead & get started.

DO NOT TREAT THE MAIN TANK!
The LR will absorb the copper and become useless. You have a lot of fish for a 10g QT tank. You probably need another 30 for safety or a 20 at a minimum. Put several pieces of pvc parts in there to give the fish some hiding spaces. You might want to cover 3 sides of the QT tank too.

Hypo would be the way to treat, IMO. I did it for my 125 last year. You need to keep an eye on the pH and be sure to use a refractometer for SG. Also keep plenty of s/w mixed and ready for a daily PWC of 10% - 20%.

Back
Top Bottom