Copper Rendering a tank Useless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does using copper in a tank really render it useless? What are people's input on this?

I had copper in a tank, emptied it out, refilled it and used a Hard Chemical removal, let the tank run for a while, tested for copper and got no results of copper.

Seachem also makes a copper removal called CupriSorb whats the input on that?

From what I understand, copper contaminates the substrate and extremely difficult to get out...even with all those copper removers. They remove copper from the water, but not necessarily from the substrate. I wouldn't use substrate exposed to copper for inverts.

Is there any rock or substrate in there that was there during the treatment?

no substrate at all. I did the typical QT setup. PVC Elbows. Everything else that was used in the tank will not be re-used in a Non-QT tank.

hey i used copper for about a month in my tank. i had a huge ich problem that would not go away, i tried many things but finally had to use copper to nock it out for good. i used the seachem to soak it up out of my tank. i also used a ploy filter that did a very good job to. at the same time i had 20lbs of live sand and still have it today and i have all kinds of inverts, bristleworm and use to have a fireworm until my coral banded shrimp found and it and ate the other day and five toadstools and all my inverts have grown and molted like crazy. so in my case the copper has not affected anything i can see. although from here on out i found that adding garlic takes care of my fish and warns off ich all together. hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom