Copper resistant ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had my new foxface and kole tang in my QT with .35-.50 cupramine for four weeks, plus one week getting the amount up to that level.

During week two kole tang got spots, they went away and came back during week four. However she then accidentally got stung by the foxface and died (fins were frozen out and mouth was open, no other signs of stress and acting normal that day).

So I removed the copper and foxface has spots on him again. I don't know if this could be copper resistant ich or if another 4 weeks of copper would get it.

I decided to be safe, to switch to hypo. So I am starting hypo today. I have quinine sulfate also, but would rather try hypo first. Anyone else experience this before?

Yah, I've done hypo before so that is why I resorted to it, hopefully it works. Dang ich. I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them?

Personally never used copper,,i have always done hypo..
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like your doing both treatments wrong...These are the only tried and true methods proven to kill ich ,and have been done over and over again...
With hypo you need to get it down to 1.008 within 36 hours..I have even put fish into hypo conditions the same day i got them with no ill effects ..They must stay in hypo for at least 30 days....Just trying to help because i know how frustrating it is and disappointing it is to see yet another white spot on a treated fish!!

FTMMWS said:
Personally never used copper,,i have always done hypo..
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like your doing both treatments wrong...These are the only tried and true methods proven to kill ich ,and have been done over and over again...
With hypo you need to get it down to 1.008 within 36 hours..I have even put fish into hypo conditions the same day i got them with no ill effects ..They must stay in hypo for at least 30 days....Just trying to help because i know how frustrating it is and disappointing it is to see yet another white spot on a treated fish!!

I measured the copper every other day, it read .50 for three weeks and .35-.50 for the second week, still therapeutic levels. My question is has anyone had that happen to them, not if I was doing it right or wrong.

As for hypo, I've done it in the past and know how to do it. And it is for four weeks after the last spot disappears, so I won't know how long until the spots disappear could be 30 days, could be more. But I'm only on the third water change, so one more and I'll be in hypo. Hard to tell if someone is doing something wrong when you don't ask how they are doing it to start.

Again, my question is has anyone treated for four weeks of therapeutic levels of copper and had the ich remain? I wanted to know what finally worked, another four weeks of copper or switching to hypo, or quinine sulfate.

I said don't take it the wrong way:lol:
I have read countless threads about ich and people treating with hypo and they still have outbreaks after treatment...Thats just a red flag to me that something is just a little off...Could be as simple as 1.010 to 1.009...
I guess to answer your question though,,,NO ,i have never heard of ich being resistant to copper or hypo

FTMMWS said:
I said don't take it the wrong way:lol:
I have read countless threads about ich and people treating with hypo and they still have outbreaks after treatment...Thats just a red flag to me that something is just a little off...Could be as simple as 1.010 to 1.009...
I guess to answer your question though,,,NO ,i have never heard of ich being resistant to copper or hypo

I didn't take it the wrong way, :)

Back
Top Bottom