Coral banded shrimp losing big claws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
My coral banded shrimp has molted 3 times in the two months I've had it and every time it grows a new pair of big claws, but whenever I check on it again the claws are gone. Does this affect how they eat or survive?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It can, but it isn't uncommon to have any invert like this come back without a claw, deformed claw, or larger than before when they shed. That said, it isn't common for them to simply fall off. I would want to look for some sort of source for your coral banded losing its limbs...aggression from somewhere.

it's normal for small coral banded shrimp to molt more often than bigger ones this is due to them growing , as for his claw it will grow back over the next molt or two ,
nothing to worry about , as for him eating he still has all his little claws to eat with as he just scavenges off the rocks ,
like hank mentioned what is your other stock that may be causing aggression on your shrimp,

I have a tiny clown trigger and dogfaced puffer

with those 2 fish you have that shrimp is a goner sorry to say ,(Dinner)
always refer to a compatibility chart
I'm almost afraid to ask this question
what size tank do you have?

I have a tiny clown trigger and dogfaced puffer

well there's your problem right there...:cool:

why, why, why would you put in something that is the PRIMARY food of the other animals in your tank?

They were all in a community tank of my friends. He broke it down and I took them

Well I'm glad to here there in a big enough tank , I was expecting something much smaller , that was the only reason I asked glad your good on that , I would think it to be the trigger grabbing the shrimps claws , once they get big enough it may be the whole shrimp that gets eaten, inverts and predators are a bad mix inverts always loose, my puffer eats 4 snails a day , don't touch hermits just snails , but I'm sure your trigger will have a taste for hermits and snails along with shrimp

They both prefer flakes. I've tried silversides and the frozen cubes but they end up getting eaten by the shrimp

They both prefer flakes. I've tried silversides and the frozen cubes but they end up getting eaten by the shrimp

try clams on the 1/2 shell or mussel flake alone don't have enough nutrients they need

Back
Top Bottom