Coral beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do these fish get ich easily. I saw a beautiful one at a petsmart here in D.C. and i have been watching it for a couple of days and he/she seems fine. Will this fish be ok with two perculas in a 40gal tank? What should i feed it?

coral beauties are pretty hardy.

fine with 2 percs

40 gal is the smallest tank i would put one in, just make sure you have lots of hiding places for her. Here's mine with the 2 percs, she's alittle tough to see.

img_307061_0_e819947110640399ed9a25fe8e9e1965.jpg

She eats anything and picks at algae in the tank all day long.

Cool! thanks for the pic it looks awesome. I am going to go and pick it up Right now. Will post when i get home.

They do not get ick as easily as some other fish, but I would def recommend 4 weeks in a Q tank before you place it in your display. I"ve been burnt too many times by adding fish to my display either without a Q period, or not long enough period in the Q tank.

CB's are great!! Mine is a little doll. She just swims around picking at the rock all day. Tough little fish, takes no crap from the bigger ones. :lol:
I agree with jamel-188, definately qt ANY fish for 4 weeks, will save you a lot of problems down the road.
In a 30 gallon, I would make that the last fish IMO.
Here is my little baby. :)

I have a 40gallon. unfortunatly someone bought the last Coral beauty. So instead i bought a powder brown tang. Beautiful fish i must say. the guy there said it would be ok in a 40 w/ the two percs. they are only 1" long and the tang is 2" long.

A powder brown can easily become stressed out in a tank of that size. Honeslty, you should have waited for another coral beauty. Tangs (especially larger ones like a powder brown) require more swimming room then a 40 gal can provide. They are easily stress and, thus, prone to many parasites and bacterial infections. If a tank upgrade is in the not-so-distant future I would say you will be okay fo now. If not, I would consider returning it and waiting for the next beauty that comes along. Good Luck...Lando

sorry 143 gadgets. There is NO WAY you should have bought that fish. Just my opinion, but a tang (especially a power blue or brown) needs a MUCH bigger tank. It is also VERY prone to ick.

Just my opinion though.

I wish you luck with him
Jim

I plan to buy a 65 or 75 gallon in about 6 months. Is that enough time? The tag at the store said it would only get up to 5-6". I thought it would be ok. If i am getting that tank soon can this work?

If you are getting the tank in the next few months you may be okay. I qwould question the credability of the LFS where yougot. They did give you bad advice. In the mean time, watch for signs of stress with this fish.

I agree with Lando, he'll be ok for a while, but it will likely get some ick spots at least (although I hope not). Do you use garlic on your food/in your tank. That may help a bit (i've been told).

Jim

Tangs in general are prone to marine ick. Look for white spots on it's fins. Also lok for any long-term change in coloration, rapid breathing, external parasites, decrease in appitite. James is correct about the garlic. Try soaking the food in something like Garlic Guard by SeaChem. It will boost appatite and immune system. Make sure you feed a varied diet and provide the tang with some grazing food through out the day.

What kind of grazing food is the best? I am gonna go and pick it up tom. and also some of that garlis. is it ok to give the percs the same mysis shrimp soaked in that garlic?

Honestly, you may want to consider a trade in. Even a 70 gallon is small for a tang that will grow to the size this one will get.
The percs will be fine with this food.
If your keeping the tang, you will want to get some seaweed (nori) strips and a clip for it for him to graze on. Tangs need vegetable matter in order to thrive.
You can find nori at most LFS's and at your grocery store in the Asian food section.

He is swimming around and seems pretty happy but he stays at the back f the tank and in the crevices of the rocks. Is there anything to do to make him swim in the open?

Be patient, the fact that he is swimming around it a great sign!!
Watch, but don't move around too much. Let him slowly get used to seeing your face.
As soon as he figures out you are the one that feeds him, you will see a change. :wink:

Iwoke up this morning and this gu is swimming everywhere!! I love this fish! I can't wait until I get my bigger tank. This fish is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom