Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coral beauty

Do these fish get ich easily. I saw a beautiful one at a petsmart here in D.C. and i have been watching it for a couple of days and he/she seems fine. Will this fish be ok with two perculas in a 40gal tank? What should i feed it?

Old 01-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

coral beauties are pretty hardy.

fine with 2 percs

40 gal is the smallest tank i would put one in, just make sure you have lots of hiding places for her. Here's mine with the 2 percs, she's alittle tough to see.

She eats anything and picks at algae in the tank all day long.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool! thanks for the pic it looks awesome. I am going to go and pick it up Right now. Will post when i get home.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
They do not get ick as easily as some other fish, but I would def recommend 4 weeks in a Q tank before you place it in your display. I"ve been burnt too many times by adding fish to my display either without a Q period, or not long enough period in the Q tank.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
CB's are great!! Mine is a little doll. She just swims around picking at the rock all day. Tough little fish, takes no crap from the bigger ones.
I agree with jamel-188, definately qt ANY fish for 4 weeks, will save you a lot of problems down the road.
In a 30 gallon, I would make that the last fish IMO.
Here is my little baby.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 40gallon. unfortunatly someone bought the last Coral beauty. So instead i bought a powder brown tang. Beautiful fish i must say. the guy there said it would be ok in a 40 w/ the two percs. they are only 1" long and the tang is 2" long.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

A powder brown can easily become stressed out in a tank of that size. Honeslty, you should have waited for another coral beauty. Tangs (especially larger ones like a powder brown) require more swimming room then a 40 gal can provide. They are easily stress and, thus, prone to many parasites and bacterial infections. If a tank upgrade is in the not-so-distant future I would say you will be okay fo now. If not, I would consider returning it and waiting for the next beauty that comes along. Good Luck...Lando
Old 01-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry 143 gadgets. There is NO WAY you should have bought that fish. Just my opinion, but a tang (especially a power blue or brown) needs a MUCH bigger tank. It is also VERY prone to ick.

Just my opinion though.

I wish you luck with him
Jim
Old 01-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I plan to buy a 65 or 75 gallon in about 6 months. Is that enough time? The tag at the store said it would only get up to 5-6". I thought it would be ok. If i am getting that tank soon can this work?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are getting the tank in the next few months you may be okay. I qwould question the credability of the LFS where yougot. They did give you bad advice. In the mean time, watch for signs of stress with this fish.

Tags
coral, coral beauty

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com