Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It definitely is ich.

Read these for treatment options

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is mildly heavy rocked, Sadly to remove the fish im gonna have to pull all the rock. Since im gonna be pulling some rock im just gonna replace the stand.

I get to thinking would it be a good or bad idea to replace most of the sand bed? Its more of shallow sand bed atm, or just add more sand to it and let it go like that?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The wife has a good idea, since we run a little heavier load of fish then we do coral. Seems like it would be easier to remove the coral/nverts from the DT, and place them in holding tanks. Then drop the DT into hyposalinity. This seems like it would be easier, then to QT all the fish off.

One question, will ick live on the LR that my coral would be attached to? Should I QT the Corals for 6-8 weeks?

Tips please help.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #14

I did just that!! It's working great, 6 weeks later everyone is ich free, just my corals are still separated for another 4 weeks!!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ich needs a host (fish) to survive. Some might be in the water or on the rock when you switch it over, but anything in the coral "QT" will die off while the fish are going through hypo. That's probably easier, just keep in mind that corals want consistency, so their tank needs to be monitored closely while you are doing this. I assume also that the "QT" has proper lighting?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well thats the thing, I have 2 options. 1. Use old 48in T5HO Fixture. 2. Take down Taos, but I dont know how I would mount them over QT.

Wasn't finished, im switching out the sand on my DT at this time since I figured im pulling rocks to get fish out anyway. I had a slight idea, Thinking I might just pull the sand bed a replace the sand in the tank? Run the DT bare bottom during hypo treatment? As I replace the sand im also adding a new 25ish gal sump/refugium. Also ordered a Refug kit thing, come with live sand, little mud, BB booster junk, and purple up.

This is all kinda happening at once, since ive been wanting to replace my junky DIY stand. Just so happens to be working out, waiting on sump to shipped and order stand yesterday, both should be in around the same time.

Think replacing sand, would help rid icks chance of return, run bare bottom for 6-8 weeks maybe longer?

Ideas? tips?

Tags
angel, coral, coral beauty

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com