Coral Beauty Angel-- Mystery Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Woke up this morning to find my crabs feasting on the corpse of my coral beauty angel.
It was doing great and had just this past week really "settled" into tank life, overcame her shyness and began coming up to the top for food when I opened the canopy and eating very eagerly. I got her on father's day and she was definitely the queen of the tank, so I know she was not harassed.

Water parameters are all good;
ammonia & nitrite-0
nitrate- <30 (not perfect, but not lethal to fish)
ph-8.0-8.1 (same as it's been since initial set-up)

She showed no outward signs of poor health and was eating very well, with it going in one end no problem and exiting the other with no problems.
She ate good yesterday/last night and appeared to be in perfect health and temperament last night when the lights went out.
All other tank mates look fine.

I'm baffled. :confused:

I have some suspicions concerning my green brittle star and after looking into it, they have been known to actively "hunt" tank mates by laying in wait for them. After seeing some videos of them in action, I wonder, because the angel sort of evicted the brittle star from the cave she was using as home, and they have "squabbled" over it ever since. :ermm:

Sadly I was not able to discern any damage or trauma considering the crabs had been enjoying a hearty breakfast. :(

Back
Top Bottom